how do i dose potassium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It was suggested to me to dose my tank with potassium. I feel like a bit of a doofus but... where/how do I get just plain old K?? I can't find any at my lfs, all they have is flourish type of "complete" stuff.

You can by Flourish Potassium from BigAlsonline.com or Potassium Sulfate from gregwatson.com. How large is your tank? The flourish product is a good way to start. You can try dry ferts later after you get comfortable with the liquid potassium.

Its a 55 gal. Currently I use Flourish ( comprehensive... not excel) and gravel tabs. I thought I would be able to pick this up at an lfs.

KCL is availble, often called No salt, used sometimes in water softeners, NaCl is plain old salt.

So you can get this locally, potassium chloride.
K2SO4, potassium sulfate also works well. Sometimes called poash of sulfar, get in the garden centers etc also, or order everything you need from Greg.

Regards,
Tom Barr

shayfish said:
Its a 55 gal. Currently I use Flourish ( comprehensive... not excel) and gravel tabs. I thought I would be able to pick this up at an lfs.

For your size tank (and depending on lighting) I would recommend going with the dry ferts from greg watson. Potassium sulfate is what you want, but I would recommend getting all of the ferts normally used (potassium, nitrAte, phosphate, CSM+B) and probably getting 2-3lbs of the potassium. His shipping rates are bad for single items, but each additional item is only like a buck more. So bottom line, if you go with Greg, buy all the ferts you need at once, and you'll save in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom