How do I get rid of hair algae without killing everything else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonatheber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a tank with live plants and a fluval light at 25% for about 1 1/2 hours a day ant at about 70% for about 4 hours a day. I have hair algae I keep plucking out of the tank... I have three Ottos and guppies in the tank, and they basically ignore the stuff. Does anything actually eat it? If I turn the light way down for a few days will it go away without killing off the live plants? Other suggestions?

It definitely is long, string and green. The attached picture shows it growing on the moss ball. It also grows on plants, a few fake ornaments I have and an occasional patch on the glass.

Attachments

• Algae 1.jpg
    Algae 1.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 63
PS One other idea I read about online (because the internet is ALWAYS right).... Does anyone have any idea of AlgaeFix is safe to use in this kind of tank? I also have a slight problem with a baby snail explosion - some of the plants I bought must have had some eggs I couldn't manage to clean off before putting them in the tank. If AlgaeFix kills hair algae, is ok on live plants and livebearer fish (and Otos) AND can harm snails that would be useful.

PS One other idea I read about online (because the internet is ALWAYS right).... Does anyone have any idea of AlgaeFix is safe to use in this kind of tank? I also have a slight problem with a baby snail explosion - some of the plants I bought must have had some eggs I couldn't manage to clean off before putting them in the tank. If AlgaeFix kills hair algae, is ok on live plants and livebearer fish (and Otos) AND can harm snails that would be useful.

How long has the tank been set up?

Chemical Algae Control

We do not recommend chemicals to treat algae. Any chemicals (save antibiotics for “blue green algae”) which kill algae will also kill both plants and fish. Specifically, API Algaefix and Tetra Algae control (same chemical – Polyquaternium WSCP) have killed tanks of fish.

Reference: Controlling Algae

Use at your own risk.

Algae or fungis???

You try changing your perimeters for your live plants? I had such an outbreak...using algaefix and a fertilizer for my amazon swords, and moss balls seemed to do the trick. I'm no chemist, but a bit of attention to your moss balls...rotate them as particles gather.

You will need to check the water chemistry while keeping the phosphates and nitrates low to minimize your aquarium’s algae growth. Limiting the amount of light daily is the most important thing to do to limit excessive algae growth. Algae thrive in light, so it will simply not grow if it does not receive enough light. If you are thinking not to turn it off the whole day, I say do not do it since your fish also needs the light for their requirements.

does excel weekly and shoot hydrogen peroxide at the algae directly in a small amount.

also have a good adjustable lighting

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom