How do i get rid of snails????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildy91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 179 gallon tank and its beginning to become overrun withg snails,they are eating my plants!!!

Loaches will eat snails. Get a three clown loaches and your snail problem will be solved.

I agree with Rex.....I got 4 small clown loaches to control a tank overrun with snails and all the snails were gone in about 2 days, now I have a separate snail breeding tank to feed the loaches their favorite food. They also eat flake, mysis, bloodworm, etc.

Clown loaches eat the snails by sucking them out of their shells and discarding the intact, empty shell. Fun to watch.

You'll want to get at least 3 because they need friends. I have to say that my loaches are my favorite freshwater fish now, because of their playful personalities and odd things that they do (rest on their fins on the rocks, swim upside down, pop the top of the water, etc.)

Just make sure you make a cave for them to hide in, and they will eventually get very comfortable with your presence and come out when you pass by (unless they are full of food or tired). I made a cave with a flat rock and some smaller rocks.

Hope this helps.

Are yoyo loaches as efficient at eating snails as clowns? My tank isn't big enough for clowns and I was thinking of getting three yoyos.

You bet they will, if you can find them. I think most folks get clowns instead because they can't find the yoyos. At least in this area.

Yoyos don't get as big as clowns and are ok in smaller tanks, and will keep up with the best clown in snail-eating voracity.

YoYos are great just as fun to watch as clowns. They are easy to come by here. Even saw them at petco! They were to small though. try to find 2 inch ones to start and youll be happier with thier performance.

Back
Top Bottom