How do I get started?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi! Below is my tank. I want to add more guppies. I have a 20 gal that holds about 18 with gravel. I have 5 cories and 3 female guppies. Looking to add more. I want to do live plants in my tank. What do you suggest? I want some grassy plants at the bottom and maybe a few that come up to the top. I don't know what I am looking for or how to even start. Any help would be appreciated.1488565942057.jpg

There are tons of plants to pick from, but here's what I recommend for beginners.

Cryptocoryne wendtii isn't exactly grass, but it stays reasonably short. Ditto crypt willisi or crypt parva, though they take more luck/work to find in shops.

For tall, you might start with something like anacharis or water wisteria. There are also tall crypts like crypt spiralis. Valisneria has been hit or miss for me, but it's lovely when it's happy.

Anubias grows slow but it comes in lots of shapes/sizes and contrasts nicely with more delicate-looking plants.

Since you've gone to so much work to vacuum out your gravel, I also recommend getting/making fertilizer tabs to put in the gravel under your live plants, to help them get off to a good start.

If you Google stuff like "best aquarium plants for beginners", you'll find tons of lists and other info about growing plants in an aquarium.

You need at least 1.5-2" of substrate. If you want to keep the gravel you could mix in some sand. Either black or some pool filter sand for a lighter color.

Gravel is possible to grow plants in, but I have better luck in sand.

For non "planted" plants. Get some driftwood ( tank safe) or lava rocks and tie or super glue ( the clear reef safe one) these plants;

Anubis
Java Fern
Java Moss

Moss Balls are easy also.

This was my old tank
IMG_2007.jpg

A dark background will show off your fish also.

My current 55g
IMG_0299.jpg

meg...

A 20 gallon tank won't support very many fish or plants. The most important thing in this hobby is the tank water. Probably because this makes up the bulk of what's in a fish tank. You must learn how to take care of the water, before you do anything else.

A 20 gallon needs most of the water removed and replaced weekly. By doing this simple thing, you guarantee safe water conditions for whatever living thing goes into it.

The number of fish you have is plenty, I would resist the temptation to add more. As for plants, stick with those that are easiest like any of the smaller species of Swords, Java fern and Anubias. These take minimal light and care in general. If you're interested in a floating plant, go with Hornwort or possibly Water sprite. Neither of these need to be planted.

This is enough to give you a good start. Remember, take good care of the tank water and you'll be successful.

B

meg...

A 20 gallon tank won't support very many fish or plants. The most important thing in this hobby is the tank water. Probably because this makes up the bulk of what's in a fish tank. You must learn how to take care of the water, before you do anything else.

A 20 gallon needs most of the water removed and replaced weekly. By doing this simple thing, you guarantee safe water conditions for whatever living thing goes into it.

The number of fish you have is plenty, I would resist the temptation to add more. As for plants, stick with those that are easiest like any of the smaller species of Swords, Java fern and Anubias. These take minimal light and care in general. If you're interested in a floating plant, go with Hornwort or possibly Water sprite. Neither of these need to be planted.

This is enough to give you a good start. Remember, take good care of the tank water and you'll be successful.

B
I do about 50% PWC each week with gravel vac.

You need at least 1.5-2" of substrate. If you want to keep the gravel you could mix in some sand. Either black or some pool filter sand for a lighter color.

Gravel is possible to grow plants in, but I have better luck in sand.

For non "planted" plants. Get some driftwood ( tank safe) or lava rocks and tie or super glue ( the clear reef safe one) these plants;

Anubis
Java Fern
Java Moss

Moss Balls are easy also.

This was my old tank
View attachment 295814

A dark background will show off your fish also.

My current 55g
View attachment 295815
I'm thinking about Java moss and wysteria. Just a little bit.

All of this is great advice, from my perspective the first thing is learning what is required to grow aquatic plants, of various degrees of difficulty. It comes down (generally) to a few categories:
Light- not just intensity, wattage and spectrum play a large role in the plants photosynthesis capability. Most plants do well under 5400k (kelvin) or 6500k.
Nutrients- I will break this down into subcategories, being substrates and added nutrients.
substrates range from ornamental gravel like yours to potting soils adapted for aquarium use. There are even DIY solutions found all over the web. For ornamental gravels, it is important to consider that rooted plants will only be taking in the nutrients from fish waste or added root tabs or injected inputs, whereas bare rooted plants like java fern that do best out of the substrate actually absorb nutrients from the water, which can make things easier and harder depending on how many and what kind of plants you keep.
CO2 is the single most important added nutrient in the planted tank, as it is required for photosynthesis to occur. It will naturally occur in water around 4-6ppm, but plants will gradually eat that and then have nothing. This is where injected CO2 comes in. DIY solutions are easy and affordable.
additional nutrients, such as macro (N,P,H) and micro (trace) nutrients should be added on a schedule for micro, and when you notice defficiencies in macro nutrients. This is actually optional, depending on what plants you keep, and should be researched depending on your commitment.

The rest comes down to making sure you aren't overdosing on any nutrients, including CO2 and proper water conditions being maintained with weekly water changes and ensuring your filter is clean.

After you're comfortable with the basics, you should look at different online live aquatic plant sellers to get an idea of what kind of plants you like. Remember, a lot of sellers include info on the plant, and care sheets can be looked at if you want to make sure you're not mixing low and high light plants, when you only have enough light for low to medium light plants. I recommend moss and ferns for your first go, easy first step like I did. And remember to look at reviews of online retailers if you plan on buying online.
Hope that helps :)

meg...

B

A 20g won't support many plants ???

This was my 10g
IMG_0795.jpg

If you want to grow plants, I do recommend getting an easy fertilizer like Thrive All-in-One. It's got a premeasured pump and with most stock lights your tank would be considered low light. So you'd only need 2 pumps 1-2x weekly. You can buy Thrive on Amazon or he has a website. Nice guy. http://nilocg.com

Most planted tank people change out 50% of the water 1x weekly. That dilutes any leftover fertilizer and adds new minerals and keeps your parameters in safe levels.

If you want to start with Java Fern you might not need fertilizer, but it does help the plants grow faster.

I love Crypts which will grow in low light tanks, but they do like Root Tabs in addition to the liquid ferts. But only need to add them every 2-3 months.
http://nilocg.com/osmocote-plus-capsules/.

This was my Crypt wendtii "Mi Oya". Bad pic of a nice plant.

IMG_0262.jpg

If I had a 20g i would need a second job for all my additional plant purchases lol. Oh boy you can have a bunch in a 20.

All of this is great advice, from my perspective the first thing is learning what is required to grow aquatic plants, of various degrees of difficulty. It comes down (generally) to a few categories:
Light- not just intensity, wattage and spectrum play a large role in the plants photosynthesis capability. Most plants do well under 5400k (kelvin) or 6500k.
Nutrients- I will break this down into subcategories, being substrates and added nutrients.
substrates range from ornamental gravel like yours to potting soils adapted for aquarium use. There are even DIY solutions found all over the web. For ornamental gravels, it is important to consider that rooted plants will only be taking in the nutrients from fish waste or added root tabs or injected inputs, whereas bare rooted plants like java fern that do best out of the substrate actually absorb nutrients from the water, which can make things easier and harder depending on how many and what kind of plants you keep.
CO2 is the single most important added nutrient in the planted tank, as it is required for photosynthesis to occur. It will naturally occur in water around 4-6ppm, but plants will gradually eat that and then have nothing. This is where injected CO2 comes in. DIY solutions are easy and affordable.
additional nutrients, such as macro (N,P,H) and micro (trace) nutrients should be added on a schedule for micro, and when you notice defficiencies in macro nutrients. This is actually optional, depending on what plants you keep, and should be researched depending on your commitment.

The rest comes down to making sure you aren't overdosing on any nutrients, including CO2 and proper water conditions being maintained with weekly water changes and ensuring your filter is clean.

After you're comfortable with the basics, you should look at different online live aquatic plant sellers to get an idea of what kind of plants you like. Remember, a lot of sellers include info on the plant, and care sheets can be looked at if you want to make sure you're not mixing low and high light plants, when you only have enough light for low to medium light plants. I recommend moss and ferns for your first go, easy first step like I did. And remember to look at reviews of online retailers if you plan on buying online.
Hope that helps :)
Thank you so much for all of this info! I am now considering driftwood with Java Fern in the corner or middle, and moss surrounding the floor. I have the bulb that my tank came with so I assume standard. Would that be high or low light? And are the fern and moss the same in aspects to light needs? You can administer CO2 through liquid like conditioner is, right? Obviously I am totally new. But I am so excited!

Thank you so much for all of this info! I am now considering driftwood with Java Fern in the corner or middle, and moss surrounding the floor. I have the bulb that my tank came with so I assume standard. Would that be high or low light? And are the fern and moss the same in aspects to light needs? You can administer CO2 through liquid like conditioner is, right? Obviously I am totally new. But I am so excited!

Yep your standard hood globe will put you in the low light category. Java and moss will grow just fine (pretty much un killable). Seachem flourish excel can be used as a carbon source. You will also need macro and micro nutrients so it would be a good idea to get flourish and trace of you can.

So shopping list is:
Seachem flourish excel
Seachem flourish
Seachem trace
Api root tabs (if your plan on getting some crypts)

This should get you a start :) just dose the recommended on the bottle

Yep your standard hood globe will put you in the low light category. Java and moss will grow just fine (pretty much un killable). Seachem flourish excel can be used as a carbon source. You will also need macro and micro nutrients so it would be a good idea to get flourish and trace of you can.

So shopping list is:
Seachem flourish excel
Seachem flourish
Seachem trace
Api root tabs (if your plan on getting some crypts)

This should get you a start :) just dose the recommended on the bottle
Can I add all of that at the same time? My fish store that has all of that kind of stuff won't reopen until the 17th. I can wait 12 days...I think... They have the products today for tank maintenance. But no fish right now. Today is their last day open at their current location until they open their new one on the 17th.

Can I add all of that at the same time? My fish store that has all of that kind of stuff won't reopen until the 17th. I can wait 12 days...I think... They have the products today for tank maintenance. But no fish right now. Today is their last day open at their current location until they open their new one on the 17th.

Best to add flourish and trace on seperate days but excel can be added with flourish with no worrys at all

My setup is kind of my own experiment to be honest, so giving advice from it would be risky. With that said, java moss and fern are low light, but the way I see plant growth is
Light + CO2 + proper nutrient intake aside from CO2 = theoretically perfect growth
So when you have low light plants, having more light prompts the plants to grow more, increasing intake of nutrients in turn.
The first thing is establishing how much light you have, the bulb that it came with may have come with a box with some info written on it about its wattage and kelvin rating. Your wattage is viewed as watts per gallon (wpg) and your kelvin rating is a number associated to spectrum (6500k). 2wpg is considered low/med/high depending on the tank itself.
This is how you know how much you need to dose nutrients. I would first recommend either looking at DIY CO2 or using excel to dose liquid carbon (substitute) as it is the 2nd most essential part, think of it as being the 2nd most essential nutrient (first is light).
Next is dosing something like flourish, which is a micro nutrient blend, is beneficial in proper doses. I recommend dosing macro nutrients if your plants have clear signs of being unhealthy. Such signs consist of yellowing and browning, and pin holes in your leaves.

I'm as new as you are, I have a smaller tank, but I've done a ton of research :) happy to share my findings.

I considered using seachem excel but it's pretty expensive, and not a true substitute to actual CO2. Based on the last bit there, I decided to try CO2 before trying excel.
Just to clarify, I haven't looked into nilocg's products but I've heard A+ rep about him. I am only talking about seachem products in my post.

There are tons of plants to pick from, but here's what I recommend for beginners.

Cryptocoryne wendtii isn't exactly grass, but it stays reasonably short. Ditto crypt willisi or crypt parva, though they take more luck/work to find in shops.

For tall, you might start with something like anacharis or water wisteria. There are also tall crypts like crypt spiralis. Valisneria has been hit or miss for me, but it's lovely when it's happy.

Anubias grows slow but it comes in lots of shapes/sizes and contrasts nicely with more delicate-looking plants.

Since you've gone to so much work to vacuum out your gravel, I also recommend getting/making fertilizer tabs to put in the gravel under your live plants, to help them get off to a good start.

If you Google stuff like "best aquarium plants for beginners", you'll find tons of lists and other info about growing plants in an aquarium.
I googled images of those. I really like the crypt Parva. I thought I wanted moss. But I love the parva.

I googled images of those. I really like the crypt Parva. I thought I wanted moss. But I love the parva.

Just bear in mind that parva in particular is a slow grower, and crypts in general are notorious for "melting" when put in a new environment. It may look like your plants have died, but, as long as the roots are fine, you should be seeing new growth in a few days/weeks.

The parva looks like a smaller version of narrow java ferns lol but they're a pretty plant to go with. Don't be afraid of getting moss too, it can be affixed to drift wood, rocks or even make it into a carpet or wall.

Just bear in mind that parva in particular is a slow grower, and crypts in general are notorious for "melting" when put in a new environment. It may look like your plants have died, but, as long as the roots are fine, you should be seeing new growth in a few days/weeks.
Good to know! I don't mind slow growing. I want to watch it grow like my fish. Weird?
The parva looks like a smaller version of narrow java ferns lol but they're a pretty plant to go with. Don't be afraid of getting moss too, it can be affixed to drift wood, rocks or even make it into a carpet or wall.
I want moss but I want to do this, and I don't know what all of that is? Just driftwood to make it look like a tree?1488822311051.jpg

Back
Top Bottom