How do I tell what my lighting currently is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just rencently got into planted tanks and don't know very much. I am pretty sure both my tanks are considered low light but can you guys verify this for me?

My 5.5 gallon tank has one (1) Zoomed Ultrasun 6500k 10 watt bulb.

My 10 gallon tank has two (2) Zoomed Ultrasun 6500k 10 watt bulbs.

They are both in standard tank hoods that come with kits.

The bulb looks like this:
097612054019C.jpg

The description on them is this:
The Ultra Sun is a 6,500K high intensity trichromatic full spectrum daylight lamp. With a CRI rating of 98, it provides excellent color rendition for optimum viewing of your freshwater or marine fish and live corals with a balanced full spectrum of visible light and UVA.

You can buy Lux meters that will tell you what your lighting efficiency and intensity are. They are not cheap though. A basic thumbrule for flourescent lighting is 2-5 watts per gallon with a tank depth of less than 24". Since I am guessing your tanks are significantly shorter than 24" I would probably say your tanks are low - medium light or medium light levels.

The intensity is also important for plants. You want it between 4000k-7000k for freshwater plant growth 6500k is good.

Thank you very much! I was figuring I was about there with my lighting. I will look into the meters.

I use those bulbs and had dieing plants in a different tank that I thought had good enough lighting, moved them to my quarantine tank with those bulbs and saved the plants...they were one banna leaf and four water sprite...

The ultra sun bulbs are what I'm referring to.
They only work with shallow tanks...

The ultra sun bulbs are what I'm referring to.
They only work with shallow tanks...

How shallow? These are both standard 5 and 10 gallon tanks. So not really that tall...

Those will be fine.
I had a 20 gallon with the fixture that is on my quarantine 10 gal. The 20 is around 20 inches tall and I had to constantly remove my java fern and another plant I can't spell bc they repoduced so much
Fertilizers help alot I havent gottin into co2 yet but will soon...

I havent gotten into C02 yet either. I was thinking of using Excel but then heard it could kill off my marimo balls. I am trying to find some Invert safe ferts as well. I have shrimp in one tank and snails in the toher and dont want anything to hurt them.

Not saying that it can't happen, but I use Flourish Excel in all my medium light tanks. Many of them have perfectly happy marimo balls in them. Anywhere from .5" - 3" diameter. I use the Sea Chem Flourish line of fertilizer. I talked to a sea chem rep who assured me that the copper is in low enough concentrations that it won't harm inverts if used as directed. He said they purposefully engineered it that way. I personally have had no problems with it. I have heard some people that have... I am guessing they over fertilized to give their plants a boost, not realizing it could cause complications.

You probably have somewhere between low and medium light in both tanks, with the 5g being slightly more light than the 10g. I've grown plants with those exact bulbs in those exact tanks before without a problem. It really comes down to what you want to grow.

Also, yea, flourish excel will probably kill your moss balls.

Back
Top Bottom