How do you cycle a tank that only involves growing aquatic plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Temp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need to find a way how to grow an aquatic plant, so that I'll be able to keep other tanks with healthy plants in case something goes wrong.

Again, the plant I'm trying to grow is hornwort.

The tank is an outdoor tank, about 240 gallons, possibly more. It's really big, as it's made out of heavy volcanic rocks and concrete. There's also two fountains: one underwater, and another that's rigged to simulate a waterfall. The only problem is that, there's rainwater in it, and we don't know why it's plugged.

I think it's possible to grow hornworts there, but I'm not sure.

There is no need to cycle a plant only setup. Cycling is needed to remove fish waste, so no fish = no cycle. <Eventually, you will develop a cycle in a pond with the natural life - insects, decaying plants, etc. But you can let that happen naturally.>

A concrete pond do need to be cured. Concrete continues to leech out alkali for weeks after it sets. Generally, it is simplest to wait one season for it to fully mature before attempting any fish. Although if you are in a hurry, 2-3 months of soaking & water changes should do the trick.

I don't know what you mean by "its plugged" ... you mean the fountains not working??

If you have a pond without good water circulation, you will breed mosquitoes .... You might want to consider some cheap fish for mosquito control.

Hornwort will grow everywhere as long as it gets good sun & nutrients (esp. nitrates). OTOH, you might also get lots of algae. Hornwort grows wild in ponds around here, and there is always a a lot of green algae with it ... so you might not want to take that inside into your tanks....

By plugged, I meant the drainage is plugged. The fountains are all working like normal.

And thanks for the advice. I'll see if Dad is ready to do this.

Back
Top Bottom