How do you figure par?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been wondering how you figure par. The closest I could find put mine stupid high but that was with my brand fixture but several inches longer than the one I have. Would I have to get a meter or is there another way to figure it and at least get a close number? Do I even need to?

Dslr is a camera, Digital single lens reflex. Nikon Canon Olympus Sigma Leica. Hope that helps a bit. You may be able to rent the PAR meter. You can rent lenses but I'm not sure about cameras.

Pretty much impossible to get PAR without a meter. There's too many variables.

Agreed, I've read about various methods but they yield varying results. Some idea can be gained which involves metering white balance setting f stop and ISO then letting the camera pick the exposure time, this info of ISO F and E is entered into a calculator. Sounds complicated to me.

If you want an inexpensive PAR meter that seems to be reasonably accurate for good "estimates", there's a guy named Hoppy on TPT that sells DIY PAR meters.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=456490&highlight=

Otherwise, you can use charts that estimate PAR based on a few factors: 1. Number of bulbs, 2. Reflector quality, and 3. Distance.

Based on those factors, which I "think" Odyssea is known to have "fair" reflectors, you can extrapolate a best guess using this resource (3rd chart probably):

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1038305#post1038305

Last edited:
"a nods as good as a wink to a blind man"
Distance is a factor as is number of bulbs and reflectors will increase intensity, agreed.
Many factors come into play including turbidity and surface agitation.
This can only be taken into account by some kind of light meter.

It's essentially a quantitative measure of light derived from counting photons in the range of light that plants can utilize.

Back
Top Bottom