How do you get rid of black brush algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JokerWx13

Aquarium Advice Freak
the title says it all :/ i recently got a stronger light for my 20g high and soon after, i had an outbreak of these guys. i already had siamese algae eaters in the tank prior to this but i haven't seen them eating it. any other methods of getting rid of it? anyone successfully gotten rid of this before?

Daily heavy Excel dosing.

Spot dosing hydrogen peroxide is known to work too, I think. I don't know the dosage though.

BBA is a sign of too little co2 for the strength of your light. If its an incidental thing, you can spot treat it, but you probably are going to have a recurring problem unless you address the root of the problem.

Also, this is a prime example of why we don't recommend stocking fish to fix algae. One, they don't always eat algae like you think they will. Two, SAE get too big for a 20.

i don't run co2 so that's probably why :/ right now its currently only on my anubias but i see a couple tufts on my driftwood. i'll probably have to take the whole piece out and bleach it. i'm afraid of it spreading all over the tank so is flourish a cheap and easy way to rid it? i should invest in either a cheap way to put co2 in my tank or should i make a DIY one?

You could try splitting your photoperiod. Worked pretty well for me. Instead of running 8 full hours on, I split it so that I ran 4 on, 4 off, then 4 on. At one point, with 4x39w T5HO on my 40b, I was running 4 on, 4 off, 3 on.

mfdrookie516 said:
You could try splitting your photoperiod. Worked pretty well for me. Instead of running 8 full hours on, I split it so that I ran 4 on, 4 off, then 4 on. At one point, with 4x39w T5HO on my 40b, I was running 4 on, 4 off, 3 on.

? Did return to regular lighting hrs once the algea was gone?

Back
Top Bottom