How does one make and use a CO2 reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skmackley

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am very confused about making a long lasting supply of CO2, like how long does it need to be on for, whats reliable and cheap and not a waste, i have been recommended to do hot water and yeast, but hot will turn cold in a hour, and will need refreshing every other day, well i heard that if you dont turn off the reactor it will explode, so i am coming to you on what to get or do! please help

Not sure where you got all that info. But here is my set up I have a 2 liter bottle that I added 2 cups of warm not hot water no more than 110f (it speeds up the process but isn't necessary) tsp of baking soda and 2tsp of yeast and one of these bottles lasts me a week. I could make it last longer but I want more bubbles at a faster rate. I then have a tube that runs to my "bubble counter" and then from my bubble counter to my powerhead where it is diffused into the tank.
1) Now the only way this would explode is if the gas had no way to escape the system. Even if turn my diffuser off it still has a place to escape it's just has huge bubbles.
2) the length of time DIY lasts has more to do with the amount off ingredient you use. more sugar more time, more yeast less time
DYI can last anywhere from a week to a month consistently just depends on you mix.

so do DIY bottle with baking soda and yeast? so the bottle is the reactor and then from the reactor using normal tubing goes to tank and down into the diffuser and makes bubbles?

There's plenty "how to" content online by doing a search. There's also plenty of instructional YouTube videos.

I've used this to help me in the past.

That is a great recipe! Almost mine! I add more yeast and get it going in about 15-20 minutes sometimes less. I also noticed that I made a typo! it was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet so please forgive me! LOL. My personal recipe is:
2 cups of sugar
2 tsp dry active yeast not the quick rise
1 tsp baking soda
Water
In a bowl I mix a cup of water at 105-110F, 1/4 cup of sugar, and the yeast and let that sit in a warm spot for 10 minutes. I usually have a batch of bread going at the same time (kill to birds with 1 stone) I put it on top of the oven that is on to 170f to raise the bread. While that is going I add the rest of the sugar, more warm water and baking soda to the bottle shake it and let it sit until the yeast mix is ready The I add the yeast mix, give it a quick shake to mix it then I add water to about 2-3 inches from the top of the bottle
and put everything back together again.
I did make a bubble counter with a mason jar. It isn't necessary but it will help to let you know how things are going and if you are producing co2. When you are setting it up make sure to seal everything with silicone and give it the full 24 hours to dry before trying to use it. My first 2 attempts I didn't seal it and I lost all of my co2 before it ever hit the tank. My second attempt I didn't wait for the silicone to cure and the silicone literally blew up this balloon like thing in the sealant until it popped and I again lost all of my co2. It didn't explode or anything. I got home from the store and my living room smelled like bread. Always use the check valves they are cheap and very necessary. I have had water from the tank syphon in to the bubble counter and water from the yeast bottle syphon in to the bubble counter. I now use tank water in the bubble counter just incase and I have 2 check valves for safety.
In know this is a lot I just figured I would pass on my mistakes so nobody else has to go through the same stuff as me, and you can do it right the first time. There is also a tun of videos on youtube that you can watch some are really good and some well some set me up for failure. just play around with it and you will get it.

diolch yn pawb!

(bit of welsh there):p i speak welsh but not fluent, language of wales

Back
Top Bottom