How is this possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up my CO2 system at the beginning of January. This past week I noticed I was having problems with the CO2 not having a consistant bubble count and then ultimately stopping. This morning I had my husband look at the unit and the tank is empty. Well, the regulator says that it is empty. Either I have a faulty regulator or I really did go through a 7 lb CO2 tank in a month and a half. Today he is going to take the unit to the paint ball store and check to make sure the tank itself doesn't have a leak and have them do a once over on the regulator.

Is it possible to go through that much CO2 in that amount of time? I was told it should last me a good 4 to 5 months.

If the tank is empty then you must have a leak somewhere. You should not have used that much CO2 that quickly. I hear windex makes a good leak checker.

Sounds like a leak. Use windex like rich suggested or you can also mix up a heavy dish soap solution and squirt it on all of your connections, especially where the regulator connects to the tank. Also any of the high pressure connections which well be any fittings between the actual regulator and the tank.

Doesn't sound possible unless there is a leak. Are you sure the plastic gasket connecting the regulator to the cylinder is seated properly? That can cause a slow leak.

The only way I can see that happening is if the tank wasn't filled properly.. a 7lb tank on a 55 should last about 9 months (I got about 11 on 75Gal w/ 10lb, but I have a controller) you would have heard the hissing at the rate it would have needed to leak out at.

Not sure about the hissing. My 10lb went empty in a week in it's former life as a pressure supply for my beer keg refrigerator. I never heard a thing. My guess is that it leaked on the high pressure side.

Maybe I just have sensitive ears then.

Dish soap/water is the standard to test for leaks (just mix it and pour a bit on the connection).. If it's natural gas, then a match will work.

I recently went through something similar. My CO2 bottle went dead in a couple weeks, and my first thought was that I was somehow shorted on my last refill. I squirted some windex on all my connections and found the faulty push connect...and the spot where my cat had bit the airline...grrrr double leaks. Both replaced (the tube not the cat), and everything is fine once again.

My husband took the tank to his paintball supplier today and had it refilled. Tomorrow after the lights turn on we're going to start squirting trying to find the leak. I hope it's just a hole in the air tubing. I'll let you guys know when we find it. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom