How long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingdood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I work nights so I sleep during the day wake up around 2pm turn my fish light and around 7pm then take a nap before work .... I have c02 injected DIY working great everything grand in the tank..do my water changes, and test water etc etc

30 gallon

4 - Zebra Dainos
6 - Sunsets
10 -Ghost Shrimp
3 - Neon Tetas
1- Spotted Dojo
2 - Golden Snails

Plenty of nice plants in it ....what I am wondering is should I leave the light on while I am at work at night?? This would equal 12 hours total of light time...now I researched and they say fish need a certain amount of no light time ...only prob is my room is not completely dark so I hesit to turn in on at night as to stress the fish out with no light time... any Advice on this?
TIA

Your plants will probably require 10-12 hours of light per day. I also work nights and am planning my first aquarium which will be planted. If you are away during the night I would not have the lights on. If I were you, I would have a timer set for them to come on around noon or so and then to shut off around 11pm or midnight. This gives you a lighted aquarium for optimum viewing time and maintains a consistant photoperiod for ur fish and plants.

good idea on the time...next purchase ...but I will set the time from 2pm till around 2am ..thanks for the tip!

I'd say to set the time from something like 9 or 10 am to 9 or 10 pm. That way in the summer time when it doesn't start to get dark till 9 or 10, your lights would be going off about that time. Also it won't screw up the fish's habbits. I have mine set on a timer from 11 am till 11 pm. (I go to work at 7 am, but the auto timers are nice). The tank is in my bedroom, where there is only one window and i have a curtain pulled closed, which the light has a very difficult time passing thru. I guess i just figured by this time in the morning, the tank would be recieving a very little amount of natural light, so then a few hours later my flourescent light kicks on.

Definitely a timer.. plus the timer will allow you to adjust the length of light easily. I switched over to a planted tank a couple years ago, it'll take you a while to figure out the right balance length of light and nutrients that your tank needs to keep from becoming an algae cest pool. :)

Back
Top Bottom