How long should a tank be lighted in a day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's planted. Thanks.

Oh and is it possible that plants could be making a tank cloudy? With spores, pollen or something like that?

I have a planted tank and my lights are on a timer they turn on at 09:00am and I have them turn off/on for an hour and half during the mid-day and then they turn off for the night at 11:00pm. So mine are about 12.5 hours a day all total.

I'm not sure the plants would make the tank cloudy. Is it a white colored cloud or green? What kind of substrate do you have?

Our tanks are all on timers and the lights are on for 12 hours per day (planted and non-planted). They turn on at 8:30, off at noon, then back on at 1:00, then back off at 8:30. So far we do not have a single speck of algae in any of the tanks.

Mine are on from 8:00a.m. to 10:00p.m. or so. I have a little algae but I have to keep my BN happy. :) Probably a little too much but my fish don't seem to mind, nor do my plants.

12 hours for a planted tank is fine. Plants do not make the tank cloudy; only algae, bacterial blooms or detris will do that.

Justonemore is on the right track, what color is the cloudiness?

Not to steal the thread - but what is the rationale behind turning the lights off for an hour during the day (I see that a few of you do that). Does it somehow control algae or is it to keep the heat from the lights down ? Or some other reason ?

Algae thrives in constant light. By turning the light off for an hour, the algae can not compete for it. Since I started on this schedule I have not had a single spot of algae. This is not saying that it will work for everyone, but we don't have that pesky green spot algae anymore.

Fishyfanatic said:
Algae thrives in constant light. By turning the light off for an hour, the algae can not compete for it. Since I started on this schedule I have not had a single spot of algae. This is not saying that it will work for everyone, but we don't have that pesky green spot algae anymore.

This has been helping against algae? I'm thinking of having my timer go off from 12-2, then back on again til night time.

Lone- Yes. When I used to leave the lights on for a constant 12 hours we would have green spot all over the place. Now that there is a break in the light schedule, we have not had a single speck of it. The plants do not suffer in the slightest because of it.

Yeah When I did the pwc, I saw that the water was green

o_O so i think it might be the fact that I light my tank too long...
and the color of the cloudiness seemed to have no color as i said in my other forum...but I now have a bunch of plants so that might be the other reason why there may be algae growing there.

hm. I don't think it's really affecting my fish, but it does look polluted and a little unsightly

here's a picture:
img47749su.jpg

i keep my lights on wayyyyy to long. but my algea is always under controll(except when i run out of co2!!! erggggg) timers turn mine on at 7 and then off at 11. 16 hours is alot but i like to look at them in the morning before i go to school and then at night before i go to bed. i am thinkin gabout doing the 1 hour break thing but havent decided yet. my algea doesnt seem to be to bad. a light amount on the glass everyonce in a while but that is only becasue i have a single otto fighting the battle in my 20 gal. my plants love it though :)

Yodlem said:
It's planted. Thanks.

Oh and is it possible that plants could be making a tank cloudy? With spores, pollen or something like that?

Not that I have ever seen or heard of.

For those of you that turn your lights off to keep down the algae- are your set-ups in dark places? I am wondering if turning the light off will make a difference for me- mine's not in direct sunlight but its in a fairly bright room?

Back
Top Bottom