How long should my lights be on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiJaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I've been running all my tanks on 8 hours light.

Is this right? Are there any "golden rules" in regard to how long you should leave your lights on for best plant growth/algae prevention.

Currently i have -

43G corner planted tank with about 2 wpg (HOT5's with reflectors).
20G tall with about 1 or less wpg
1G shrimp tank with 9 wpg and weaping moss

Thanks,

Jac

8 to 10 hours is a good length.

There are no 'golden rules', but most people stay in the 8 to 10 hour range. Some run theirs for 12 and other for 6, so it's really up to you.

rkilling1 said:

There are no 'golden rules', but most people stay in the 8 to 10 hour range. Some run theirs for 12 and other for 6, so it's really up to you.

would i wrong in the assumptio0n that longer light duration = more plant growth?

HiJaC said:
rkilling1 said:

would i wrong in the assumptio0n that longer light duration = more plant growth?

There comes a point when the photo period is no longer needed for the plants and then that gives algae a time to grow. Normally, the higher the light level, the lower your period should be. Having lower lighted tanks, I don't think you will run into too much trouble if you want to increase your photo period.

I would just watch the tank and see what the algae is doing and adjust accordingly

Back
Top Bottom