how long will plants survive without water movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman888888

Aquarium Advice Freak
I believe i read they can stay healthy for 24 hours without oxygenation/water
Movement

Is this correct?

Plants and Little Oxygen

I believe i read they can stay healthy for 24 hours without oxygenation/water
Movement

Is this correct?

Hello fish...

Provided you keep the tank water pure with large, frequent water changes, your plants should do quite well without much, if any water movement. Water movement at the surface mixes oxygen into the water and releases or drives away CO2. Oxygen is a plant byproduct, so plants work to remove it, they want the CO2. That's why plants don't do well if you have a lot of air stones in a tank creating a lot of surface movement. There's too much oxygen for them.

Just change a lot tank water and do it frequently to replace the minerals that aquarium plants need for good health. You can eventually replace your source for water movement, but I don't think there's a rush.

B

They will be fine especially if it will only be for a day. I would however use a cup to dip water out of the tank and pour it back in so the water doesn't form a protein layer at the surface and just to add oxygen into the tank if there are fish.

Back
Top Bottom