How Low/High Is My Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jafooli

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi hope I posted this in the right section.

I have done so much research this week around growing plants, So thought I would ask you guys about lights as I don't know much

What range of plants do I have access to with my 20 gallon tank, 90 liters.

The lights that came with my tank are:

Power-Glow 18inch 15w with a LUX of 50 and 18000k
Aqua-Glow 18 inch 15w with a LUX of 35 and 18000k

Now I have only done a little research but apparently and disappointingly T8's just don't cut it and T5's are the way to go, sadly my tank is a fluval roma 90 with its own lightning hood and the only way for me to add T5's is DIY which I am no good at and don't want to risk ruining my tank.

So my question is how many plants can I pick from? I presume only LOW light plants =\

I also read that the Power Glo is more of a marine light, so should I buy a Life Glo as I read there much better for plants, and if so should I buy 2x Life Glo but apparently there only 6700k? If yes would this effect the brightness of my light? Would my tank be darker, and how would the fish look under them lights, and how much will it improve plant growth? If no what would be my best set-up?

Which brings me to my next question what are Kelvin ratings, I guess I could find this on Google so if its to long to answer don't worry. Would my plants be better with 2x 6700k or 1x 6700k and a 1x 18000k because at the moment I have 2x 18000k so that's a big difference.

Also what is LUX?

I have also been doing alot of research on CO2 and have made my own DIY co2 with a 2l bottle, which is going at 1bps, but I still need a kh test kit to read my CO2 and will be buying a drop checker also.. I have also now read.. with a low light tank CO2 is pointless .. so now I feel disheartened as I was really exited to have all my plants flourish and be like everyone else's tanks on here, then I read a article on importance of lights, so that's why I'm here and trying to learn about lightning. So should I keep the CO2?

I think that's about it, and if my tank is low lightning, are there still a wide variety ? I don't just want Anubias and Java fern.

Thanks for any help, it will be much appreciated, Sorry for all the questions, I will do my own research on them so sorry for not using the find a thread box first lol. I'm buying some more plants today as I only had my CO2 going for 3 days and am really getting into aquarium planting, till I learned my tank don't support t5's

Back
Top Bottom