How many plants is too many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rokuzachi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a ten gallon with 24 watts of light over it on a fluorite substrate. It was my aquatic jungle to be inhabited by a couple of wee fish, but is presently a quarantine. I had intended to grow out some plants to help populate my main tank. My question is how many plants are too many for fish to still inhabit the thing?

I currently have;

8x 6-10" Egeria najas stalks (some floating)
~24 4-10" Egeria densa stalks (some floating)
1x double-fist sized bushel of Hornwort
1x fist sized bushel of Najas guadalupensis
3x 3-8" anubias (?)
2x Aponogeton crispus (with growth varying from 2" up to 12")
5x 4-8" Bacopa monieri stalks
1x small clump of Java moss tied down to a rock
2x 6" bunches of Hygrophila corymbosa
1x Momma pygmy chainsword with 6-8 established runners
2x 10" thick bunches of Hygrophila difformis
1x 8" Ceratopteris thalictroides
1x 3" Crypt. petchii

Presently I dose Excel every other day. If I've overdone it, I'll just have to move some to my other tank. Thanks for any advice!

As long as they're growing, I don't think that there's such a thing as too many plants. I have extras laying in a tub like cord wood under a grow light and they're doing just fine.

My only suggestion is a chainsaw :).

LOL thanks :)

The problem plants have been my first batch of Moneywort, but it looked pretty ragged when I got it. The Watersprite's old growth is not doing too well, but the new growth on it is very bright and healthy looking. The last problem has been some algae on my Anubias, but the snails have done an alright job with it.

I've noticed that my giant Hygro tends to lose a lot of leaves. They're healthy, but then suddenly I see leaves floating around. I'm thinking that they're getting knocked off by the fish. I had been removing them regularly, but just now I caught my big mystery snail snacking on one that had sank. Guess I'll leave a few of them lying around :)

Rokuzachi said:
LOL thanks :)

The problem plants have been my first batch of Moneywort, but it looked pretty ragged when I got it. The Watersprite's old growth is not doing too well, but the new growth on it is very bright and healthy looking. The last problem has been some algae on my Anubias, but the snails have done an alright job with it.

I've noticed that my giant Hygro tends to lose a lot of leaves. They're healthy, but then suddenly I see leaves floating around. I'm thinking that they're getting knocked off by the fish. I had been removing them regularly, but just now I caught my big mystery snail snacking on one that had sank. Guess I'll leave a few of them lying around :)

My goldies like to munch on some and tear other out for the fun of it :). My onions are the only ones they leave alone. If I see mild die off or something looking a bit ragged, I just trim it off. Not much different that most gardens as far as what you should do IME on both sides of the glass.

When my anacharis or cabomba grow too long, I just clip the top 4-6" off and replant it. Rotting debris can foul your water, so I remove it pretty quick myself. Sounds like you're doing pretty good, the only thing I can suggest is pics please lol.

My goldies like to munch on some and tear other out for the fun of it :). My onions are the only ones they leave alone. If I see mild die off or something looking a bit ragged, I just trim it off. Not much different that most gardens as far as what you should do IME on both sides of the glass.

When my anacharis or cabomba grow too long, I just clip the top 4-6" off and replant it. Rotting debris can foul your water, so I remove it pretty quick myself. Sounds like you're doing pretty good, the only thing I can suggest is pics please lol.

Honestly, it's pretty hideous ;) The aquascape has been completely demolished thanks to its temporary residents. Anything that's planted has been done so very deeply and with weights below the surface because the fish will mercilessly sift around the base of them.

Back
Top Bottom