How many "WPG" do I have now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. I recently decided to upgrade my lighting in my 55 gallon tank from the 2 incandescent hoods that each had 18W "Plant Gro" bulbs in them to a 130W Coralife freshwater compact fluorescent setup. The kit came with 2 x 65W 6700K bulbs (the freshwater version as I mentioned) but I'm not sure how many "WPG" I have.

I am wanting to base this on what the WPG scale was created with, which I have heard is NO fluorescent bulbs. I know watts are a measure of power used and that there are other factors that influence plant growth such as intensity (lumens) and color of the light (K). I guess what I am trying to ask is how many "WPG" would I have in comparison to the NO bulbs that the scale was based on to begin with? I mean... are my CF bulbs 1.5 times as much as a NO setup.... more, less? Also, how do T5 type bulbs compare to NO bulbs? TIA.

Thanks, so I'm basically a little over 3 "WPG". I shoulda gone with T5's as they seem to be a much better deal.

Back
Top Bottom