How many WPG would you recommend for this:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
First of all, here's what Im working on:

55g Mbuna tank (yes i know they are typically rough on plants)
4wpg
pressurized CO2
glosso, amazon swords, anacharis, corkscrew val
Average substrate depth 1.5" (planning on Flourite w/ a thin layer of pea gravel to help hold everything in place)

Considering the plants I am going to have, here's my question: 3wpg? 4wpg? Or what? What WPG would you guys recommend? I currently have a 2x55w BrightKit and a 1x96w BrightKit, but Im not sure what all I wanna install in my hood that I made. So, I could have up to 4wpg, which I thought I may need in order to keep the Glosso looking nice and "carpety." However, Im scared of frying my other plants, and scared of algae takeover. What other things should I take into consideration here, and what should I aim my WPG at? Thx all

Well I have 2.93 wpg, and I grow glosso just fine. Some pros can keep glosso at 2wpg.
IMO there's no need to exceed 3wpg when using power compact lighting.

I'm with Malkore (as usual :wink: ). 3 wpg of CF lighting is sufficient in most big tanks to grow anything you want to as long as you're running pressurized CO2. I've actually switched some of my CF lights out for 50/50 10000K/Actinic03 lights just to reduce the photosynthically active wattage a bit (from 3.5 wpg to 3 wpg with Actinics) I'm growing Rotala macrandra and Ammania sp. 'Bonsai' just fine at 3 wpg, and they're two of the light hungriest plants I know of. Overdoing the lighting just makes it tougher to fight the algae that also thrives on tons of light. 'Start low and increase light if necessary' is good advice :)

Back
Top Bottom