How often do you prune?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am considering planting my tank but am not sure how much extra work it would be. It seems that many of them grow quickly (going by people's before/after pics) so do you have to prune on a regular basis?

Depending on the type of setup, light intensity, species and everything variability is high. Assuming you just want to get some plants in there with no specifics, low light setup with adecuate plants you could trim every 3-4 weeks. Maybe vals or elodeas more often, but those just need a quick snap at water surface level.

Depending on the type of setup, light intensity, species and everything variability is high. Assuming you just want to get some plants in there with no specifics, low light setup with adecuate plants you could trim every 3-4 weeks. Maybe vals or elodeas more often, but those just need a quick snap at water surface level.

Ok thanks, that helps. I am a full time working Mom with 2 kids so I have limited time and a lot to look after already!! Just trying to figure out if I have time for yet another job.......

Always remember kids are never too young to help with house chores! (Tank chores count too ;) ) Hope you do go planted, you'll enjoy it!

Always remember kids are never too young to help with house chores! (Tank chores count too ;) ) Hope you do go planted, you'll enjoy it!

I agree! My kids do have chores but only small at this point so it doesn't really help that much. As for the tank - to be honest that's one chore I enjoy. I like doing the maintenance work. Maybe because my new upgrade (10g to 60g) is still a novelty - perhaps it will turn into a chore later on, but right now I enjoy it! And since I figured out how to avoid algae and have a water changer it's really not much work anyway. I do it weekly and both tanks only take about 20 mins.

But thanks again. If I go planted I'll post my progress!

You might want to consider a medium light system with dry ferts and glut.

It will grow fast enough to be a quickly changing system to keep it from getting boring but will grow slow enough that it isnt a big deal to keep it trimmed. My 55g needs trimming every week or else everything just gets overgrown. It is however a high tech high light tank.

You might want to consider a medium light system with dry ferts and glut.

It will grow fast enough to be a quickly changing system to keep it from getting boring but will grow slow enough that it isnt a big deal to keep it trimmed. My 55g needs trimming every week or else everything just gets overgrown. It is however a high tech high light tank.

Thanks! Though if I am a noob with fish I am an uber noob with plants and don't even know what dry ferts and glut are!! I am sure I can look it up though.

Dry ferts:
PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

This pack will last you a long long long long time.

Glut:
Complex carbon molecule that plants can use for a source of carbon. Increases speed of growth.

Dose 1ml / 10 gallons daily to start. Increase slowly up to 1 ml every 2 gallons daily if needed. Algae growth will show how much more you need. Throw out the activator bottle.

Cidex Metricide Omnicide 14 Day Sterilization Gallon | eBay

Dry ferts:
PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

This pack will last you a long long long long time.

Glut:
Complex carbon molecule that plants can use for a source of carbon. Increases speed of growth.

Dose 1ml / 10 gallons daily to start. Increase slowly up to 1 ml every 2 gallons daily if needed. Algae growth will show how much more you need. Throw out the activator bottle.

Cidex Metricide Omnicide 14 Day Sterilization Gallon | eBay

You are awesome, thank you!!!! I will look over all this tonight.

Back
Top Bottom