How slow does Riccia grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
About 2 weeks ago I received a clipping from GlitcH and it does not appear to have grown at all. The glosso is going nuts as expected, the christmas moss is impossible to tell due to its structure, and lace java fern is growing albeit quite slowly as expected. The riccia however, just doesn't seem to have done anything. Is this a slow growing species? If so that's great since it looks wonderful and it would be one less plant to always trim....stargrass I love and hate you at the same time... :)

Seems like I have the slow growing one. :) Like I said though, if it remains healthy and doesn't develop traditional slow growing algae (GSA, etc), I'll be more than happy with it barely growing. It still looks as good as when I recieved it from GlitcH.

I've heard it never roots, but does it attach at all to things like my java fern/christmas moss will? Or does it forever stay free in the water? I'd love to have this slowly take over some decorations but tying down is not an option (not ready to go the glue route yet either).

Hey 7,

It grows pretty fast at times for me and other times it seems dormant.

Currently not seeing a lot of growth.

It doesn't attach itself to anything like the moss does either man.

I do get small pieces that sometimes sink into the glosso and then grow out and weave itself in with the glosso as it grows.
That's nice if you like that look but I'm not a big fan of it.

Glad to hear you're having good luck with the glosso at least seeing that was the requested plant. :D

GlitcH said:
Hey 7,

It grows pretty fast at times for me and other times it seems dormant.

Currently not seeing a lot of growth.

It doesn't attach itself to anything like the moss does either man.

I do get small pieces that sometimes sink into the glosso and then grow out and weave itself in with the glosso as it grows.
That's nice if you like that look but I'm not a big fan of it.

Glad to hear you're having good luck with the glosso at least seeing that was the requested plant. :D

The glosso seems to have almost doubled in size, but it could just be spreading out slowly in the substrate since I planted a huge square of it in one spot. That unknown that you ID'd has doubled in size, broke itself (or due to a fish) in half, and that piece and the new piece have been planted. It broke near the base after breaking in the middle and there is a new plantlet about 1/2" tall growing from a sideshoot of the original planting. I'm very pleased with the look and growth rate, but unfortunately I need to find a low flow area to plant it since it has a lot of drag due to the structure (it tends to spend most of its time sideways in the current).

Back
Top Bottom