how to add a second light fixture...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patagonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 29gal tank with some low light plants...and the 20w light that came with the tank...apparently im pretty much stuck with that but somebody suggested to add a second light fixture...how??? the aquarium kit is a marineland one...so i dont see where exactly on the hood that second light would be added...
the plants are fine...its been 3 weeks since i got them...i havent added any fertilizer yet...i have seachem flourish excel...will that work? thanks!!! :D

You can get ahold of a clear lid for your tank and then set two light strips on top of it - one being the one you already own. It's not too terribly expensive.

A Feeder's Supply store I stopped by last week had a used one (I was shocked @ them selling used hardware) for a reasonable price - it needed serious cleaning, so I didn't even consider.

Then I found my fav. LFS has a 36" hood w/ a 36" light built in, for $45 - best price by far I've found and that's what I'll be upgrading to very, very soon. :D

Just go to the LFS and tell them you need a glass versa-top for a 29gallon. Its just two sheets of glass, a plastic hinge, and a plastic handle. Then there's plastic trim with a C-channel you slip on the backside, and cut it to fit around HOB filters, cords, etc.

108aga_glass.jpg

Yeah, what malkore said. ;)

This reminds me of a good question : how do you clean all the crusty deposit-like stuff that collects on the glass parts of aquarium hoods? Didn't I just read vinegar somewhere?

thanks again guys...and cJw...i read the same thing about vinegar...never tried it though :roll: ...i hope my lfs here in toronto (big als) doesnt charge much for that thing for the light...seems to me here in canada we always end up paying more...i paid $34(can) for the master test kit and then they charged me $200(can) for that marineland 29gal tank kit...even if u do the conversion to american dollars its still :mrgreen: waaay too much...but ill give it a try...

I think I'd pay just under $20 US currency for a 29gal versa-top from my LFS (read as 'slightly over priced mom n' pop store')

i had the same problem so i did exactly what everyone else is suggesting. i now have 1 24" light strip and 1 18" light strip with a glass top on my 10. what they dont tell you is that both the 24" and 18" strips have 15 watt bulbs.

actually, that's not 100% true felf. 24" NO fluor. fixtures can be 20watts. It depends on the ballast inside.

actually, that's not 100% true felf. 24" NO fluor. fixtures can be 20watts. It depends on the ballast inside.

yeah, i didnt mean to confuse anyone; just venting my fustration when i found out all-glass hoods are like that.

do you mean all glass hoods are like that or all-glass (company) are like that?? lol not im confused

Back
Top Bottom