How to clean planted tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lawngnome

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have never really experimented with live plants in any of my aquariums so I'm curious about how (when I do get a planted aquarium set up) I should go about cleaning the aquarium. Normally when I clean my aquariums I siphon all the waste out of the substrate. I guess my question would be, do I remove the plants every time I clean and replant them, or do I only change the water and leave the waste for nutrients? The second one makes more sense to me but I am out to learn all about it.

You can still siphon just in place where the plants arnt. Also if Algea is growing on the glass you can use a Razor blade and scrape it off without any damage to the tank

Both exceptions work. The fish poop acts like a fert for the plants giving them nutrients. Like jason said, you could siphon the empty spots in the aquarium, but dont dig too hard or you could chop some roots right off the plant.

Pass 3/8" hose over leaves, rocks, the surface of the substrate. Use a turkey baster to loosen up junk on leaves and let the filter get it. I don't mess with the substrate. Or rather, there's no room to mess with it.

I swirl the vacuum around just above the sand to stir up the detritus that collects around my plants.

what i do is move the gravel vac around in circles kicking up the dirt into the water so it can be sucked up. i just wouldnt gravel vac around the plants since you can break up the roots like the others said.

What I do.

1. Prune and top the plants
2. Net out all loose leaves from pruning
3. Clean the glass
4. Gravel vacuum the tank by surface skimming the substrate around the plants
5. Refill with conditioner to treat for chlorine/chloramine
6. Dose the tank

Any maintenance items for equipment is on top.

Also, of note. If you plan on using sand or something like eco complete or flourite, you will want to just swish the vac over the spots. With gravel, you can still dig about, but be careful not to get to close to plants when you do it.

Back
Top Bottom