How to deal with nigh nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skunky

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tap reading is 30-40 ppm. In my 5g, I have five endler's and one blue ramshorn snail. In my 30g I have 10 juvie rcs. Both have several plants but they are not helping reduce the nitrate level. It is coming out at 40-80 most times I test.

So, here's what I'm wondering: I've read that a "heavily planted" tank is one in which only 25% of substrate is showing. Mine is not there yet. But, if vacuuming the detritus out of the substrate is so important, how can one do that with so many plants? Am I to assume that the plants will, at some balance point, be nourished by the gucky poo and take care of it?

Further, I read the floating plants eat nitrates in the water column, while rooted (planted) ones don't as much. True? Too many floating plants will block light, though, as these sources also point out.

I can't afford an R/O unit. My daughter who lives three states away told me her Whole Foods Market sells RO water (fill it yourself) at 39 cents a gallon and that she thinks most stores sell that kind of water. I have not found it in my area. If any of you buy this water, where do you get it? Next, won't R/O remove minerals, too? Why isn't spring water okay?

I've also read that chemicals to lower nitrates aren't a good solution as they are temporary (not sure why) and their use can cause problems for plants. Has anyone had any luck with nitrate filters (not chemicals)?

One more thing (I read too much!) a few people say that Seachem Prime and Purigen lower nitrates. Anyone have the same experience?

If anyone can help, I would be most grateful!!!

i had a problem with them this weekend due to nitrogen dosing... fix it by water changes small amount if you want and you can double dose on prime to help it ... its on the label.... good luck

I have the same readings from my tap. I mainly just do really big water changes very frequently.

The RO water does take out minerals, but I don't believe you have to remineralize the water unless you have live plants........

Using fast growing plants like water sprite, wisteria, and many stem plants will really help mop up nutrients. I also took a few cuttings off my potho's houseplant, loosely tied the cuttings together, removed the leaves so the stem parts in the water could easily grow roots. Another way it to make a planted HOB filter, which supposedly really mops up nitrates. Here's a link to check them out...
Anyone ever grow emersed plants out of the filter of a Fluval Spec?
Planted HOB thread.

I am fairly new to fish keeping but i have managed to keep my levels right where they should be. I did have a small spike within the month and did frequent water changes to alleviate the issue...this did not help much so i was advised that along with my water changes to start using Prime. If miracles could come in bottles this would be it..my levels went right back down. So i can vouch and say that Prim works and i am back to doing my weekly 25% water changes.
I recently added Mopani wood to my tank after soaking it for days in boiling water. I was okay with the light tea tint the water had for a few days and then got tired of it. I added Purigen to the tank and within 8 hours the water was crystal clear. Again, using these does not mean you can slack off with water changes, they are just wonderful additions to use.

These are all helpful ideas. thanks!

I ordered some Java Moss, Hornwort, Wisteria, Water Sprite, Moss Balls, and Frogbit to add to the 4 x Java fern, 4 x crypts, two other types of wisteria, 3 x swords, and several smaller front to mid-ground plants.

I got some API Nitra-Zorb to experiment with. I didn't want to put it in my tank until I tested it out, so it's been soaking in a 5g bucket. In 48 hours, it hasn't lowered the nitrates enough to be useful. The tap nitrate was over 40 before I added the pouch. I'll give it a few more days.

I have a huge philodendron I could get cuttings from and put in the filters of both tanks.

Just today, I bought some Prime. I'll give that a try soon and report back. :)

Oh, I also got 8 gallons of ro water. I'm going to drink it and use it in cooking, but maybe I'll do 50/50 water changes with that.

Again, thank you all very much! It's reassuring to know there are people who have been able to make high tap nitrate work.

I have a huge philodendron I could get cuttings from and put in the filters of both.

Don't use Pothos or philodendron cuttings in a HOB filter thier roots grow way long and will clog up your impeller. Take your cuttings and remove the leaves that are going to be in the water, then lightly tie the stems together and hang them over the end/side of the tank. Roots will grow, they will help mop up excess nutrients, and when the roots grow too long just cut them shorter and the plant will grow just like it's in a pot. Here is a link to show some plants that are better suited to HOB filters.

Planted HOB thread.

Anyone ever grow emersed plants out of the filter of a Fluval Spec?

Back
Top Bottom