How to fix High Ammonia Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CADgirl0421

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gallon fresh water tank with a catfish, elephant nose, tetras and some molly's. I test the water regularly and the ammonia has been over 8ppm for the last 2 weeks. I went through almost an entire bottle of amo-lock and I've had amo-chips in for a week as of today. I also put prime in to help and do water changes every week and clean the sand. It hasn't changed at all. At first a couple fish died, but nothing in the last week. I have no idea how to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be doing water changes daily with an ammonia level that high. I'd start with at least a 50% water change. And I would reduce feeding for the time being.
Has anything changed in the last 2-4 weeks? Changed filter cartridge/media? Medications?
You may want to test your tap water as well. Some water treatment facilities switch from chlorine to chloramine certain months of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should be doing water changes daily with an ammonia level that high. I'd start with at least a 50% water change. And I would reduce feeding for the time being.
Has anything changed in the last 2-4 weeks? Changed filter cartridge/media? Medications?
You may want to test your tap water as well. Some water treatment facilities switch from chlorine to chloramine certain months of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 do exactly what he said, how did you go about cycling your tank?

How long has this tank been set up and running? I'm amazed any fish are living in those conditions. Are you sure the test result is accurate?

You said you had a catfish in your tank, you never specified what kind of catfish. Overstocking could be the issue as well.

Back
Top Bottom