How to grow Dwarf hairgrass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbaboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I buy a small bunch, how would it grow across my 20 gallon?
Would I just trim the hairgrass when it gets long and replanting it?
Or would I have to buy a whole bunch of hairgrass?

First of all Dwarf hairgrass needs high light, CO2 or high doses of liquid carbon, and good fert dosing.

What is your lighting and bulbs being used? Are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? What about ferts?

First of all Dwarf hairgrass needs high light, CO2 or high doses of liquid carbon, and good fert dosing.

What is your lighting and bulbs being used? Are you using CO2 or liquid carbon? What about ferts?

I'm using flourish seachem 2 t8 bulbs, dirted tank. and im using co2

so planting dwarf harnesses will spread into a over time?

The easiest way to grow dhg given your dosing ferts have high enough light and co2 is breaking the bunch in separate pieces each consisting of 4 or so blades and planting them in a checkerboard pattern.

The easiest way to grow dhg given your dosing ferts have high enough light and co2 is breaking the bunch in separate pieces each consisting of 4 or so blades and planting them in a checkerboard pattern.

so it depends on how big your bunch is? or can you start off with a small bunch and grow them in some way?

Dwarf hair grass sends out runners. It will naturally form a carpet as it spreads out. However, I doubt two t8s over a 20 tall will be able to carpet it. I feel you would need atleast one t5, maybe two.

Dwarf hair grass sends out runners. It will naturally form a carpet as it spreads out. However, I doubt two t8s over a 20 tall will be able to carpet it. I feel you would need atleast one t5, maybe two.

In a pinch cfl lighting in a dome lamp is a cheap way to get High light. I'm running 2-23 watt cfl bulbs at the moment in my 20H for high light and everything is growing well. I'm not growing dwarf hairgrass though.

In a pinch cfl lighting in a dome lamp is a cheap way to get High light. I'm running 2-23 watt cfl bulbs at the moment in my 20H for high light and everything is growing well. I'm not growing dwarf hairgrass though.

I've used CFLs before and grew HC so it's definitely possible.

Now are 2 54w 6500k T5HO daylight bulbs high light? Would it be ok for DHG I had 4 but had a bba problem so dropped it to 2

You can grow DHG with living, nutrient rich substrate. Floresent lighting, CO2 is made by the fish, for a heavy amount of live plants i would use aCO2 injection. when plants die, the dead parts rot, releasing carbon dioxide. Fish fertilize the plants from pooping. trimming hairless will make it root easier and strengthen it.

The amount of CO2 produced by fish is insufficient to maintain plants alone in any medium light or higher setup.

In the case of DHG, strong light and good CO2 is essential. It's definitely one of those plants you don't want to cut corners on for maximum effect.

Back
Top Bottom