how to grow java moss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read how everyone is allways saying java moss is just SO easey to grow.... I have been trying to get mine to grow for like....4 months (or longer) and it just wont...I just finally tied it to a piece of drift wood..but everyone say's it grows and makes a nice ground cover as well? :?:

well I have several lights I put on it durring the day/night...I have a 15 watt... 20watt, and 2x 13 watts...some times I will just put one of the 13's on, then maybe the 15, then maybe the 20 and the 15..it mix it up.... cause I have some higher light plants and lower light plants....so I try to mix all the needs..and im getting more higher light...so should I just put the moss and fern in my lower light tank and maybe it will grow?

I would try to get a consistent schedule going. Make things more cosistent and you may see better results. I think the timers were possibly my best investment I have made for my lighting system.

Doug

blazeyreef said:
well I have several lights I put on it durring the day/night...I have a 15 watt... 20watt, and 2x 13 watts...some times I will just put one of the 13's on, then maybe the 15, then maybe the 20 and the 15..it mix it up.... cause I have some higher light plants and lower light plants....so I try to mix all the needs..and im getting more higher light...so should I just put the moss and fern in my lower light tank and maybe it will grow?

It doesn't work that way. The lower light plants are low light because they can survive in low light, they will enjoy the higher light as well. Just leave all the lights on for 10 hours a day, all the plants will like you for it, especially the higher light ones.

rich311k said:
blazeyreef said:

It doesn't work that way. The lower light plants are low light because they can survive in low light, they will enjoy the higher light as well. Just leave all the lights on for 10 hours a day, all the plants will like you for it, especially the higher light ones.

oh ok...I diddnt know that :oops: Thanks! I will run them all!

well... be careful running them all. u will have to watch your fertalizers casue with the higher lighting the tanks will use more ferts and your tank will bottom out. make sure the moss has plenty of nitrates to thrive off of. tie it as thin as possible and it should spread out quickly.

well I just cut out 20watts...so its now..41watts....thats still 4WPG and the reason so is cause the 20watt is made for a 20L tank and it was just a pain in the butt to try to fit it on...so maybe If I can confince my parrents...get a 20G and I will still be able to have 61watts...but for now...its 41 over the 10!

mr funktastic said:
lol if that doesnt grow java moss then u are cursed. are u dosing anything? do u have co2? any pics?
no Co2 YET...I am going to get one (hopefully) by christmas...but with christmas sneeking up on me...money is short LOL anyways...I do have pics...let me see if I can upload them to the photo gallery!

have u thought about DIY co2? u still havent answered if u dose any fertalizers. as for the pictures i sugest using a site like www.photobucket.com and upload all your pics there. it is wayy easier and there is a link that u just cut and paste for the pictures.

oh ya...(sorry I just forgot to awnser) yes I do fertilize...I will have to go see what its called...LOL and I do use photobucket.....It just takes forever to upload all my pics LOL

and I have looked at DIY but I couldnt figure the dang thing out...

Java moss does grow slow. I have 2 years growth in my 26G now. It's completely covered my driftwood and cave now, with a 6 inch deep blanket. Looks awsome too....

The trick to tying it is to do it very thin. Most people make the mistake of tying it on too thick, and the bottom layer turns brown and dies off, causing the upper layer to float around the tank. Tie it on sparingly, and then dose with Excel. You'll get decent growth. I dose Excel in this tank every other day, a full dose, sometimes 2x.

26g41.jpg

2.jpg

I don't dose anything and I only have one 4-foot bulb over this 55-gallon tank. The Java Moss is 3x this big now...the picture was taken a while back.

1. Ruthlessly throw away any pieces that get algea and then cut your light schedule by 1/2 hour for a while.
2. Keep the moss clean. Gently shake/rinse it out when you do WC.
3. If the plant is too far from the light, move it up higher.
4. Java Moss seems to do better in a cooler tank, the cooler the better.

i always got great growth even in warmer temperatures. it grew well before i started dosing and even better after but the biggest thing i noticed is the addition of co2. the moss goes nuts with co2. here is a pic so u know what i mean.
this is my co2, highlight fert dosing tank
img_727192_0_30b1c63565d42227971209b8c3d42bfd.jpg

this is my medium light co2 tank but i dont dose at all. it still grow amazing. the only difference is that i find it gets darker in this tank. both tanks are at about 80 degrees.
img_727192_1_ab1eb154eba7375894ac7911cc75df97.jpg

Back
Top Bottom