How to keep my driftwood form tiping over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I have just found 2 amazing piece of driftwood and I'm thinking about creating a moss tree. But my drift wood has no base to keep it firm. The driftwood is waterlogged but I'm just trying to be cautious; so how can I, what can I use as a base and how can I connect the base to the driftwood?

image-1159891815.jpg

This is what I'm trying to accomplish

image-3495403171.jpg

This is my tree base

Maybe some type of glue or epoxy that's safe for aquariums? Even if u glue it to a rock and use that as a base

I have tried using glue but the driftwood always manages to slip out of the glue's grip and either floats up or falls over.
The best way is to get a THIN slate and drill a hole through it. Then get stainless steel screws and drill the screw through the hole and into the driftwood. That will make sure the driftwood stays in slate/thin rock. Then u bury the slate into the substrate, leaving the driftwood sticking up. Looks like driftwood is just stuck into substrate. :)

Last concern, can I just go in the store and buy any kind of slate, or is there a special type?

Last concern, can I just go in the store and buy any kind of slate, or is there a special type?

Go to lowes or Home Depots outdoor section, if your like me and that doesn't pan out go to their tile section they have perfect squares of slate you can purchase as well. I screwed my driftwood to the slate

Yes u can go to Home Depot or any other hardware store with slate. Try getting a slate that will sink the driftwood but is not too thick. U can also order aquarium slate on eBay or something.

If u do get slate from Home Depot/ hardware store, make sure to wash it with warm water until no more loose particles fall off.

I used small plastic plant saucer a drilled 2 hole through it and 1 toward the base of driftwood. Use thread or zip tie to attach 2 together. The weight of gravel will keep it down.

I did the same thing (slate/stainless steel screws) for some branches of manzanita DW. For the slate I was in Lowes and at the tile cutting station there was a 5"x6" chipped piece of slate left on the deck. I asked how much and the fellow there said it was "throw away/extra" and marked it as a sample (meaning = free).

I have also heard of using a small sheet of acrylic for the same purpose as the aforementioned saucer; it uses the weight of the substrate to hold it down.

I have tried using glue but the driftwood always manages to slip out of the glue's grip and either floats up or falls over.
The best way is to get a THIN slate and drill a hole through it. Then get stainless steel screws and drill the screw through the hole and into the driftwood. That will make sure the driftwood stays in slate/thin rock. Then u bury the slate into the substrate, leaving the driftwood sticking up. Looks like driftwood is just stuck into substrate. :)

I you have access to a saw it is best to cut the bottom off smooth that's how I hear of people doing it. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Back
Top Bottom