How to plant underwater plants.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
When planting these Amazon Swords should I remove the spongy synthetic wrap thats around the root? Or should I leave it on there?

Yeah remove it you'll probley notice there is a groupe of plants there then plant it like a normal plant and then pull it up until you see the tip of the root where it meets the stem.

Chris.

Be extra cautious when you remove that wool fiber. You do not want to damage the root structure that is contained inside.

Hi JamesMJ2,

On established larger plants, I remove the sponge wraps and lead weights.

On cuttings and new plants, I usually loosen those sponge wraps/lead weights and move them further up to expose the roots. Once the roots get bigger, I remove the wraps and replant.

I make a small hole in the gravel with my finger, stick the plant in it, backfill with gravel, pack the gravel lightly, then I pull the plant up about 1/4" which orients the roots in a downward position. (Since. they get all bunched up during the planting process).

I hope this helps.

Color Spectrum

I am a little confused here. I am going to get a 55watt Power Compact light for my 20gal Tank(perhaps 40 gal soon) I went to AquaticBotanic and read the article on lighting. The section on Kelvin caught my eye because of this... "Color Spectrum or kelvin
The term kelvin designates the color spectrum of the light bulb. A "full spectrum" bulb is anything between 5000k and 6500k. This has nothing to do with brightness, and bulbs that are very high in the color spectrum, (10,000k) have no value to plant growth. Standard fluorescent, VHOs, and MH all come in full spectrum."(Robert Paul H.)
Does this mean that a bulb with 10,000K won't give a plant the needed light, or does it mean that a buld with that much Kelvin is just over kill, but still covers the neccessary 5000k-6500k? I couldn't find a bulb that was high enough watts but down in the 5000k-6500k range.

A "full spectrum" bulb is anything between 5000k and 6500k. This has nothing to do with brightness, and bulbs that are very high in the color spectrum, (10,000k) have no value to plant growth.

I totally do not believe this, from experience, IMO, it is light intensity, NOT spectrum, that affects plant growth. I have 2 tanks with full spectrum bulbs on them and the plants grow fine, Perhaps not as fast as my other tank with 6500k bulbs on it, but they still live and thrive. Just get the most watts you can, don't worry about the spectrum. I don't have a bunch of science to back up my position, just experience. :!:

Back
Top Bottom