How to set up a CO2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though the amount of CO2 being added is constant, the level of CO2 in the tank will fluctuate. During lights on, plants will consume CO2 bringing the level down. However, during lights out, plants will consume O2 and release CO2. Combine that with fish and microbe respiration and the result is an excess of CO2. This will affect the pH as well.
Since you do not have a solenoid on a timer, you can increase the aeration at night to drive off excess CO2 (air pump or power head on a timer). This should reduce CO2 fluctuations.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks for the info I will add air pump today

I will be running a 10 gal sump on a 29 gal display. Ive only seen two posts vaguely touching on sumps. So my question is how much co2 will I lose from sump to display? Ill be defusing in the main chamber dirctly in front of the return pump. If I have fill the tank once one month so be it. Small price to pay for a flurishing health tank.

It is difficult to measure the loss of CO2 with a sump. A lot may depend on the media in the sump. If a drip plate, spray bar, and/or wet dry media is used then increased CO2 loss is to be expected. There will be some loss in the overflow and drain tube and this will happen nonetheless. Injection prior to the return pump is a good idea. Placing a drop checker or two in different locations in the display tank will help measure how much CO2 is being dissolved.

You can minimize co2 loss from a sump by using a tivht fitting pane of glass. Assuming its a home made sump withouf a drip tray.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well just got my solenoid (didn't like listening to the air pump )got it hooked up tonight
I'll check tomorrow see how it does

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm also going to try the DIY method with yeast. Any downsides to this besides the lights off CO2 spike? I'm going to be working with yeast in a 40g partial planted tank.

I'm also going to try the DIY method with yeast. Any downsides to this besides the lights off CO2 spike? I'm going to be working with yeast in a 40g partial planted tank.

I ran two 2L bottles into a tank half that size I did not see a rise in CO2 at night. The filters provided lots of circulation.

That is what I was hoping for thanks!! I will be setting it up this weekend.

If you have your tank on only when the lights are on for about 9 hours a day at 2-3 bubbles per second, your 2.5lb tank should last you at least a 9 months.

There are websites that can help you calculate more accurately I believe. I plugged in those numbers for my 5lb tank and its supposed to last me about 18 months.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I just picked up a tank from Craig's list for 20.00. Great deal but I'm getting nerves to do this I don't want to kill my fish.

I am setting up a 75 gallon tank with a solenoid pressure co2 system. I figured if I'm going to do it I want my money's worth. It has a paintball canister converter. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421118791.696790.jpg

Just any advice on how many bubbles per second I should do? I'm very new to co2 (though I have done lots of reading). I'm starting off with your basic easy plants till I get the hang of live plants.

You can start off with 2-3 BPS. I would strongly suggest getting a drop checker (or two considering the size of the tank) if you don't already have one. The DCs will be your guide.

I have a bubble counter that came with the regulator. That fine? It connects to the hosing line as it's fed into the tank.

I have a bubble counter that came with the regulator. That fine? It connects to the hosing line as it's fed into the tank.

That's fine for counting bubbles. But it won't tell you how much CO2 is in the water.

I think less than $15USD on Amazon for the Fluval drop checker. It includes the indicator fluid. Other drop checkers do not include the fluid and you need to either purchase it separately or make it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom