How to sterilize tank after fish died?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnailorJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my tanks is a 10 gallon that used to contain one male betta and a couple of nerite snails. Right now it is planted with one amazon sword that takes up most of the tank, a piece of driftwood, and some java moss. The substrate is sand. I just returned from a week long vacation during which my betta died. I had a friend come over twice to clean my tanks and feed the fish, and when she found my betta, he was decomposing and most of his scales had fallen off, so he likely died soon after I left. I don't know if it was disease or old age, though he looked normal when I left. My plan for now is to disassemble the tank and move the plants/driftwood to another tank of mine, but I don't know if or how I should go about sanitizing the tank in case my betta was contagious. I know to clean the actual tank/substrate with a 10% bleach solution, but what about the plants and driftwood? Help is appreciated, thanks!

Well if your going to be restocking soon I would just do some heavy water changes. Without a host any disease will die off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom