How to trim Hornwort?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a couple of hornwort shoots that need trimming these are just a single stem so if I trim it down will it still grow or create a new shoot?

Hornwort tend to get ratty at the bottom, so best way is to cut off the bottom & replant the tops. But if you are interested in propagating, you can just cut the stem into 2 or 3 pieces & replant everything.

Also, if you pinch off the very tip of the plant, it will encourage side shoots so your stem is bushier, if that is the look you are after.

Jsoong, I don't really recommend planting hornwort actually. It doesn't root and the planted part will rot if you do which is what you're seeing in the rattiness. I will weigh mine down with a rock or stuff an end under a clay pot to keep it from covering the whole surface. Even doing this, the part underneath the rock will always end up turning yellowish and losing needles. My latest trick is looping it through the handle of a mug I have in the tank as a cave which works really well. In any case, to trim it, I just pinch it off with my nails wherever and it will just keep growing and growing. I swear, this stuff is invincible!

I bought like five bunch of this stuff and it is a jungle in my tank if anyone like some I will be posting under trade, free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom