How would you do a 125Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 125- formerly SW, already plumbed to a 55G sump. I have a reef breeder LED- I know it is massive overkill for a planted, but I can dim it, that will work, right?

So.. I'm thinking South American plants and fish...
Maybe dirt with eco complete over it?

Do I need Co2?

Would like to go as low tech as possible..

Reef lighting really won't work IMO for freshwater plants unless you have 10K, nothing higher and no actinic's. Plus you'd really have to dim them a lot if you want to keep things simple. Simple would be lower light plants, using liquid carbon and not CO2, then proper ferts which would have to be dry ferts due to the tank size. In planted tanks high lighting means using CO2.

The Home Depot light would work and give you low light which would grow Anubia's (all types), Java Ferns (all types), Bolbitus, Jungle Val, and Crypts which there are many types from small to very large. It would allow for a very easy planted tank. Crypts would need root tabs since they are heavy root feeders.

I notice you have a link to the Florissant store in MO... I'm close to there are you?

I don't know how the light you have using channel #2 would work. You could always try it first and see how it goes.

The reefbreeder site? I do not live near there. I bought it in a group buy last summer. Other people had great luck with theirs, but I did not. The built in controller was faulty and unfortunately died when I was on vaca... They did offer to replace it for free, so I can say their costomer service is good.

Back
Top Bottom