Hydor Nano 240 circulation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought it'd be better to post this as its own thread, rather than my tank's thread. I found an attachment that can be placed on my Hydor 240 powerhead to deflect water more. Currently, my powerhead is directional for only one direction, which my fish do not like--especially my Daisy's Ricefish. I was wondering is this attachment would make the flow from my powerhead more gentle and more spread out. Amazon.com : Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector Attachment : Aquariums : Pet Supplies

The words "wave effect" in the description scares me, as I don't want there to be marine-like flow in my tank. Just more gentle flow. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's exactly what it does. It doesn't really make the water more turbulent or send things flying. It actually lessens the flow rate a little bit.

It might come down to getting another canister filter for my tank, so that a spray bar can evenly distribute flow. Every powerhead out there is too directional. The problem is that canister filters can be expensive, but are so much more efficient in terms of flow. I've had my Eheim 2213 (120 GPH) for 8 years (!!), so maybe it's time to upgrade. What about an Eheim 2215 as the only source of flow for my 30 gallon? A 2217 seems like overkill.

The flo redirects the water so it isn't a constant blast in one spot. Try out the $12 fix before scrapping everything and getting a canister. You don't need a canister for a spray bar. A piece of 3/4 hose, an adapter, elbow joint and 1/2 inch pipe with holes drilled = spray bar. I stopped using mine in the 40 because it was too strong if you recall XD

The flo redirects the water so it isn't a constant blast in one spot. Try out the $12 fix before scrapping everything and getting a canister. You don't need a canister for a spray bar. A piece of 3/4 hose, an adapter, elbow joint and 1/2 inch pipe with holes drilled = spray bar. I stopped using mine in the 40 because it was too strong if you recall XD

Sounds like a good plan. I thought about this after posting, and I don't want to spend unnecessary money that could be used on plants/fish. I'll place an order soon for the flo. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom