Hydrogen peroxide to get rid of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joegourami

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10 gallon planted tank with a DIY CO2 reactor, 2 40 watts energy saving lamps. But recently I got some black beard algae over my plants, it's not like a bloom or plague but doesn't look nice. I've heard that H2O2 kills algae very efficiently, but can you help me with the dose and procedure?

Just so we're clear, when you say 40w, you mean 10w CFLs that are '40w equivalent' right?

When I spot treat with H2O2, I use a plastic syringe (cheap at a drug store) with a length of plastic tubing such that I can control the dosing with one hand and guide the tube with the other. I use 2 mL/gal, unless you've go a really big problem on your hands in which case you can go up to 4 mL/gal, but I generally give it a 10-20 minute break between dosing each 2 mL/gal. Make sure your filters, bubblers, etc are off so that there is minimal flow in the tank, and so that the peroxide doesn't harm your BB. Apply directly to the algae, dosing slowly.

Just so we're clear, when you say 40w, you mean 10w CFLs that are '40w equivalent' right?

When I spot treat with H2O2, I use a plastic syringe (cheap at a drug store) with a length of plastic tubing such that I can control the dosing with one hand and guide the tube with the other. I use 2 mL/gal, unless you've go a really big problem on your hands in which case you can go up to 4 mL/gal, but I generally give it a 10-20 minute break between dosing each 2 mL/gal. Make sure your filters, bubblers, etc are off so that there is minimal flow in the tank, and so that the peroxide doesn't harm your BB. Apply directly to the algae, dosing slowly.

Also my light? It might sound stupid because i know that it decomposes fast in light but just to be sure.

I never have. It decomposes in with light, but A) most aquariums don't have much of the spectrum that does that and B) the decomposition of H2O2 in light is much slower than its oxidation reaction that will happen in tank water (where there's all sorts of goodies to react with).

I have a similar problem with BBA and had the same question. I am making the assumption that we are talking about the drug store 3% H2O2 and not a more concentrated variant for the dosages recommended?

At the recommended 2mL/gal what is the hazard level for tank animals, fish, inverts, etc. Low, med, high? What about at the max dosage of 4mL/gal?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom