Hyrogen peroxide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackdaddy81

Aquarium Advice Regular
So after fixing my nutrient problem I decide to treat my plants with Hydrogen peroxide to help kill the algae faster. My microswords are really covered in the stuff and I am afraid that the might die.

Anyways, I used about 30 mL for my 29 gallon tank. I just dumped it in the water. My question is, should I have taken my plants out and dipped them in hydrogen peroxide. Also, did I use enoughand how many more treatment should I use and how often? Thanks!

I think the better method would be to use excel, and take the plants out and dip them in an excel solution. I have read about folks using H2O2 treatments in their tanks, but I have also seen some pretty bad results out there from this method. I think it has the potential to kill more delicate plants.

If you have BBA or other algae, and don't want to uproot all your plants, I also had great luck spot treating with excel using a dropper to apply it as close to the algae as possible. After just 4-5 days using this method, most of the BBA in my tank turned a light greyish-pink color, and died away. Just be careful, thare are plants like anacharis and others that will melt if exposed to excel.

Anacharis and Vals are the two main plants that react to Excel. Some have reported that Riccia is sensitive to it when overdosing to treat Algae.

I have found that the Excel sensitive plants will also melt on H2O2 treatment .... I used 1/4 to 1/2 ml per gallon as a spot treat (just squirt on the plant & watch the bubbles). Didn't work for the algae I had, but caused major melting of my Vals & hornwort.

From what I read, you are supposed to treat with H2O2 daily for up to a week .... I gave up after 3 days.

I can tell you from experience that H2O2 melts riccia and HC. I've tried the method a few times. Spot treatments do indeed temporarily kill even the dreaded BBA, but it soon comes back. I've also tried just dumping it in the tank. For me this had no effect what so ever.

Mack
I have never had any luck treaating the whole tankwith H2O2.
I used 2 mll per gallon without success.

I used to use a bleach dip at a 20 to 1 ratio. It worked but the plants lost a bunch of leaves. The did recover. Bleach scares me because it is toxic to livestock and bacteria.
Now when I get algae on a plan, I uproot the plant and dip it into straight 3% H2O2
for a couple of minutes (leaves only). Then I replant and the next day the algae
is a pinkish orange and disappears in a couple of days. And H2O2 is not harmful
to livestock unless it is overdosed. I understand that H2O2 actually invigorates the fish. It turns into water and oxygen in the tank.
I buy H2O2 at a dollar store for .50 cents a bottle

Charles.

Care recommended here...

H2O2 in an aquarium in a high enough concentration to do some serious algae fighting might be hazardous to fish. Have you ever poured fresh H2O2 on a cut? Ouch! It does some serious biomolecule damage. H2O2 is not a compound that targets algae specifically, it is a generalized oxidizer. If you are biological, you may get ox'ed.

Yes, H2O2 does break down rapidly and loses its mojo, but if you pour in a bunch, and your prized spotted gourabetta swims through the plume, you may be in trouble.

Fish are not "invigorated" by H2O2, the added O2 won't be of benefit unless you are O2 depriving your fish. If the fish react to the addition of the H2O2, it probably is not a good thing.

Mack
I have never had any luck treaating the whole tankwith H2O2.
I used 2 mll per gallon without success.

I used to use a bleach dip at a 20 to 1 ratio. It worked but the plants lost a bunch of leaves. The did recover. Bleach scares me because it is toxic to livestock and bacteria.
Now when I get algae on a plan, I uproot the plant and dip it into straight 3% H2O2
for a couple of minutes (leaves only). Then I replant and the next day the algae
is a pinkish orange and disappears in a couple of days. And H2O2 is not harmful
to livestock unless it is overdosed. I understand that H2O2 actually invigorates the fish. It turns into water and oxygen in the tank.
I buy H2O2 at a dollar store for .50 cents a bottle

Charles.

I've never had H2O2 hurt when I put it on a cut. Rubbing alcohol hurts like no other, but not hydrogen peroxide...just bubbles a little. But I agree with all other points.

H2O2 in an aquarium in a high enough concentration to do some serious algae fighting might be hazardous to fish. Have you ever poured fresh H2O2 on a cut? Ouch! It does some serious biomolecule damage. H2O2 is not a compound that targets algae specifically, it is a generalized oxidizer. If you are biological, you may get ox'ed.

Yes, H2O2 does break down rapidly and loses its mojo, but if you pour in a bunch, and your prized spotted gourabetta swims through the plume, you may be in trouble.

Fish are not "invigorated" by H2O2, the added O2 won't be of benefit unless you are O2 depriving your fish. If the fish react to the addition of the H2O2, it probably is not a good thing.

I was just relaying my experiences with algae on aquatic plants.
No, my fish have not acted "invigorated" by the addition of H2O2.
That is a statement that I read on another forum.
I have never used more than 2ml per gallon and that did not even slow down the algaae growth.
BUT when you dip the plant leaves in 3% H2O2 and replant, the algae is killed.
By no means do I pretend to be an aquatic plant expert.
Charles

No doubt, even a spot treatment of H2O2 will usually kill the algae. I imagine a diect undiluted dip you kill it handily

No doubt, even a spot treatment of H2O2 will usually kill the algae. I imagine a diect undiluted dip you kill it handily

Yes it does kill it. I don't have Vals or Elodea, et may make them melt like Excel does.
H2O2 is much safer for use than a bleach dip.
Charles

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going to uproot the plats today and dip them in hydrogen peroxide. The straight dumping doesen't seemed to have worked, except for the top of my driftwood that is really close to the surface. The algae on top has turned gray. After I dip the plants my algae problem should be gone. I have fixed my nutrient problem and I increased my Co2 to about 30 ppm.

I will let you all know how it goes and hopefully I will have some good pics to show in a couple weeks once my plants really take off.

Has anybody actually had hydrogen peroxide work in getting rid of algea. I `ve asked several folks in the last week and havent had the first person yet to say it works. What do ya`ll say?

Has anybody actually had hydrogen peroxide work in getting rid of algea. I `ve asked several folks in the last week and havent had the first person yet to say it works. What do ya`ll say?

Yes it does kill it. I don't have Vals or Elodea, et may make them melt like Excel does.
H2O2 is much safer for use than a bleach dip.
Charles End quote

From what I read, the effect of H2O2 is variable, depending on your organics level. Because H2O2 will react with any organic material (not just living one), it is rapidly neutralized in a "dirty" tank, and be ineffective. However, in very clean tank, a conservative dose might case fish damage.

It is actually a bit risky to do the whole tank treatment with H2O2. even in plant dipping, the effect is variable depending on what is on the plant .... you might need more or less dipping time to balance its algae killing action vs plant killing effects.

From what I read, the effect of H2O2 is variable, depending on your organics level. Because H2O2 will react with any organic material (not just living one), it is rapidly neutralized in a "dirty" tank, and be ineffective. However, in very clean tank, a conservative dose might case fish damage.

It is actually a bit risky to do the whole tank treatment with H2O2. even in plant dipping, the effect is variable depending on what is on the plant .... you might need more or less dipping time to balance its algae killing action vs plant killing effects.

This is my 46 gallon with DD black angels:
http://gs69.photobucket.com/groups/i60/7NOBMDJJ0N/

I periodically get BBA on the Ludwigia Repens or the swords. For the past two months I have been doing a 50% PWC 3 X a week and no losses yet with the H2O2 treatment. Prior to that I was doing 50% PWC's every day. DD BLACKS ANGELS ARE VERY SENSITIVE TO WATER QUALITY.
Like I said B4, when I pull a plant with BBA, I first dip in 3% H2O2 for a minute or two, replant and the next day the BBA is pinkish orange. In two days it’s gone. I’ve tried decreasing ferts, splitting photo periods, feeding less, five day total blackout, etc. I DIY CO2, a little over 2 WPG (96 watts A&H DIY hood).
I’m convinced that H2O2 works and is safe for livestock the way I do it. I just cannot figure why I keep getting algae.

Charles

Cbwmn,

I think in a 46 gal tank, you will have trouble maintaining high enough CO2 levels with DIY, unless you have multiple bottles running, and do frequent mix changes. I got rid of my BBA once and for all when at the suggestion of Purrbox I increased my CO2 concentrations to over 30 ppm. That seemed to do the trick.

Fort
Thanks, As soo as I can afford to go pressurizzed, I will.
We have some health issues to deal with first.
Charles

Back
Top Bottom