I can not identify what type of nutrient deficiency?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daimond

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
My Hydrocotyle tripartita was going very well for long time but suddenly the plant grows and produces no leaves while other plants grow naturally.

But I also noticed that Hygrophila polysperma in the same tank the old leaves show holes on it and then at end falls off while the new leaves grow well.

their is nothing new happens in the tank.

I hope that you can help me
Thanx

Attachments

• IMG_20180219_050939.jpg
    IMG_20180219_050939.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20180219_063845.jpg
    IMG_20180219_063845.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
I’d say a potassium deficiency when pinholes on lower leaves and new leaves are fine. Are you injecting CO2 or dosing liquid carbon? Any nitrate / phosphate readings?

Hydro in general I found tends to look ratty on lower leaves and drop them. Once the plant reaches surface, I generally take the top cutting and replant that (removing old base of plant).

Rarely I could get it looking good for full 2 and a half feet but as soon as it was unhappy with something, lower leaves went. Meanwhile every other plant will have no issues.

Symptoms Cause
Old leaves turn yellowish/ red Nitrogen deficiency
Old leaves turn yellowish/ red; Leaf loss and small dead areas Phosphate deficiency
Black/ brown leaves, plants die Excess phosphates
Yellow spots on old leaves and yellowish margins on younger leaves Potassium deficiency
Yellowish margins on young leaves with deformations Calcium deficiency
Yellow spots on old leaves while veins stay green Magnesium deficiency
Young leaves turn yellow Sulfur deficiency
Yellowing leaves starting from the tip then become transparent Iron deficiency
Yellow spots between the veins, margins and tips Zinc deficiency
Plant stays small slow or now growth white deposits on leaves (calcium) CO2 deficiency
Fish gasp for air on surface Excess CO2
Sluggish fish no plant growth Oxygen deficiency
Plants stop growing/ black roots Substrate problem

This is an interesting topic to me as I have a lot of different plants (Anubis, Crypts, mellon swords, Bacopa, etc.) in my 65G tank. Most are doing fine but the Anubis has similar symptoms. I add seachem Excel and Flourish once week (No Co2 injection). I live in Denver CO, and the normal PH is 7.8. My Question...... how effective would adding RO water(15-20%) be to having healthier looking plants?

This is an interesting topic to me as I have a lot of different plants (Anubis, Crypts, mellon swords, Bacopa, etc.) in my 65G tank. Most are doing fine but the Anubis has similar symptoms. I add seachem Excel and Flourish once week (No Co2 injection). I live in Denver CO, and the normal PH is 7.8. My Question...... how effective would adding RO water(15-20%) be to having healthier looking plants?

having a pH closer to 7.0 would make more nutrients more available to plants. But given that you are only dosing flourish and excel, you will need to dose N, P and K before worrying about RO mixes.

SymptomsCause

Old leaves turn yellowish/ redNitrogen deficiency

Old leaves turn yellowish/ red; Leaf loss and small dead areasPhosphate deficiency

Black/ brown leaves, plants dieExcess phosphates

Yellow spots on old leaves and yellowish margins on younger leavesPotassium deficiency

Yellowish margins on young leaves with deformationsCalcium deficiency

Yellow spots on old leaves while veins stay greenMagnesium deficiency

Young leaves turn yellowSulfur deficiency

Yellowing leaves starting from the tip then become transparentIron deficiency

Yellow spots between the veins, margins and tipsZinc deficiency

Plant stays small slow or now growth white deposits on leaves (calcium)CO2 deficiency

Fish gasp for air on surfaceExcess CO2

Sluggish fish no plant growthOxygen deficiency

Plants stop growing/ black rootsSubstrate problem

“Black/ brown leaves, plants die-Excess phosphates”

Side interest - I’ve never had issues with excess phosphates up to 10ppm. Using phosphate buffers I have done that. Base of stems went black as well. All plants died.

Hello all,

sorry to revive this thread, but after a 1.5 months, my plants are not doing well, and they are actually doing worse. My melon leaf sword are doing well, but my Anubias have stopped sprouting new leaves all together. The growth of new leaves has stopped and all the old leaves have been covered with spot algae. The left images are from past and the right images were taken today.

I have been dosing seachem excel, potassium and Flourish twice a week to a 65G tank. Any ideas? I'm close to testing my water by a lab to see if it has too much of something instead of lack of anything.

Attachments

• IMG_4714.jpg
    IMG_4714.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4857.jpg
    IMG_4857.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4715.jpg
    IMG_4715.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4856.jpg
    IMG_4856.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 49
Ah, got confused on thread.

Overall I found I went through a lot of plants to find ones that worked for my setup.

The anubias I found does better in shaded or low light - this was with CO2 injection as well so ferts / CO2 wasn’t an issue.

The seachem excel I would try dosing daily and watch for any melt. Unfortunately I’ve never found it very good for green spot algae but worth a try.

Is the new growth on the anubias smaller than the old growth?

Back
Top Bottom