I found a planting package!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cypilk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found a planting package that Joannde referred me to and it includes the following.

• 3 Bacopa
• 4 Rotala indica
• 3 Cabomba
• 4 Banana Plants
• 5 Anubias Nana
• 1 ounce Java Moss
• 10 Sagittaria subulata
• 2 Amazon swords
• 6 Crypt Balansae
• 4 Crypt Wendtii (2 red and 2 green)
• 4 Java Ferns
• Fertilizer

For all of that, I wanted to know what sort of equipment would be best for my 25 gallon tank. Currently, there is nothing but 7 Zebra Danios and black gravel.

Oh and at the bottom of the list where it says fertilizer, I have no idea what type of fertilizer that is.

It is very likely that the fetilizer is going to be one of the standard bottled brands that isn't worth the money, but you might as well use if they give it to you. When that stuff runs out, you may want to consider looking up the PMDD recipie for fertilizer.

You might consider replacing the gravel with sand or eco-complete before planting. It can be hard to get stem plants to stay stuck in gravel.

Do you have a filter in that tank? A heavily planted tank doesn't need as much filtration as the filter companies claim, but a small filter to pick out the dust after planting, and a powerhead to circulate the water would be a good thing. A heater would be a good thing as well.

DIY CO2 is a cheap and easy addition that will keep algae down and let your plants take best advantage of that fertilizer.

Many of the plants that you listed will do well with low light, but there are a few that are going to need at least medium light. If you haven't already upgraded your lighting this is something you may want to consider.

If the gravel is small (2-3mm in size) it will be fine. If it is a larger gravel, I would think about replacing it. If your lighting isn't medium, you'll need to upgrade. Cabomba, Rotala, and Bacopa will need medium lighting.

Check out Gregwatson.com for dry ferts. If you don't have medium or high light, you can get by with Seachem fertilizers (Excel, Flourish, Potassium, Nitrogen) because you won't have to dose as often.

JustOneMore20 said:
Check out Gregwatson.com for dry ferts. If you don't have medium or high light, you can get by with Seachem fertilizers (Excel, Flourish, Potassium, Nitrogen) because you won't have to dose as often.
If you're in this for the long haul, Greg Watson is still the better choice for low-light tanks. The Seachem stuff is alot of money for what you get. One order from Greg Watson will supply you for years on a low-light tank.

Well, my gravel is the standard ol' gravel you can find at any fish store and I have 30 pounds of it in my 25 gallon tank. I have a top fin power filter and a good heater along with it. The lighting definitely needs to change as well.

Here is the link to the plant package
http://stores.ebay.com/Sierra-Aquarium

So, are you saying I need to get the following?

New Light!
CO2
Fert
Filter
Gravel

You don’t necessarily need a new filter. I haven’t had great luck with the reliability of TopFin products (I had a filter quit working on me), but you may have different experience. If you are going to buy a new HOB filter, I would go with the AquaClear. I used to have a penguin brand one, and I’m much happier with the AquaClear. There are more options available for filtration than with the penguin.

I’m just reiterating what others have said on the ferts. Greg Watson’s ferts are very inexpensive in the long run. It will take me years to go through what I got, and I only paid about $12 after shipping.

Really what other items you want to buy depend a lot on your budget.

Good luck!

Stick with the current filter until it dies or otherwise upsets you. I agree AquaClear is a great replacement filter when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom