I got 2.2wpg on my 50 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raimeiken

Aquarium Advice Activist
what kind of plants can i plant? can i put glosso in this tank? hopefully i can, because i already planned everything, i got it all sketched out and stuff.

i think glosso requires much higher light.... i've heard its a more difficult plant, esp. in light needs

Of all the plants to ask about! :D

Gloss requires a heck of a lot of light! One of the extreme cases, actually.

You can still get a few plant species with 2.2 wpg. Java ferns are the most famous (virtually invincible!). Anacharis are another success story, and I can attest to this (I've had a piece in my unlighted snail tank for weeks and it hasn't changed or rotted a bit!). Anubias species such as Anubias barteri and barteri var. "nana" also do well in low light (though this goes against some conventional wisdom, nonetheless it it is my experience and the experience of many others). Hygrophila polysperma (Hygros) also do well. I've got mine in a 1.5 wpg 10G tank and they're growing remarkably fast! Crypts (Cryptocoryne spp.) also do decently in low light.

There are some other plants, but I can't think of any now!

8O 8O you're kidding! ithought 2wpg is average for a tank? so anyway, are there a lot of tall growing plants i can put in this tank? I'm going to build terraces and stuf and put crap lodas of plants, sorta like a dutch-style planted tank.

Hygros are wonderful plants: they fill out the back of an aquarium splendidly; they grow to at least a food in height (mine range from 5" to 1' ); they are quite attractive; and they respond well to cutting! I've taken clippings from mine several times, and the new stems do very well.

Check the pictures in my gallery (from the 10 Gallon tank) to see how the hygros nicely frame the back of my tank (they're to the left, moneywort is to the right): http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photo...0&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1 In the second pic, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photo...0&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1 you can see how they grow well--they were originally about half that height and had fewer stems. (Sorry if those links don't work--if not, just check my gallery.)

I'd advise them for both Raimeiken and C. Montgomery!

Raimeiken,

Nope. I'm not kidding. 2 wpg is about the minimum most people recommend for a planted tank. Have you read my FAQ?

Hygro will grow as long as you let it. In my 4 wpg tank I once had a step of H. polysperma that was 9' long from tip to tip and closer to around 30' long with all the shoots.

What? 9 feet or 9 inches? If 9 feet, then I do understand why your wife told you to trim the tank--that's *quite* an achievement!!!! I've certainly noticed that plants will tend to continue to grow sideways on the surface of a tank once they've grown up that far. My pennywort is about 2 feet long now in my 10 gallon (1 foot to surface, 1 foot on surface).

you sure can...but you're still going to be limited. c02 isn't much of a necessity until you get to higher light levels of over 3wpg....

[forgot to add]

when light levels increase, photosynthesis increases as does the plant's need for c02 as part of the process...

madasafish said:
Hygros are wonderful plants: they fill out the back of an aquarium splendidly; they grow to at least a food in height (mine range from 5" to 1' ); they are quite attractive; and they respond well to cutting! I've taken clippings from mine several times, and the new stems do very well.

Check the pictures in my gallery (from the 10 Gallon tank) to see how the hygros nicely frame the back of my tank (they're to the left, moneywort is to the right): http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photo...0&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1 In the second pic, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photo...0&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1 you can see how they grow well--they were originally about half that height and had fewer stems. (Sorry if those links don't work--if not, just check my gallery.)

I'd advise them for both Raimeiken and C. Montgomery!

excellent...i believe i will use that as background cover for a corner of my tank. i won't be using c02, but having a fast growing plant like the hydro should help control algae by soaking up excess nutrients, correct?

Back
Top Bottom