I have a question regarding pressurized co2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got my new co2 all set up and I have been doing a fair bit of reading about it but there is still something I don't quite understand.

Here is what I do know:
- a low working pressure making fine turning through the needle valve easier and saved on gas ( a little)
- 30ppm is pretty much the goal to reach
- too much gas can suffocate the fish
- should run co2 an hour or two before lights come on, turn off co2 about an hour before lights go out.

So here is where I need some help. I understand I want to drop about 1 point of ph to achieve my desired co2 levels (to provide an non limiting amount of co2). I was reading and have been told that the drop of co2 ideally would be fairly quick (within an hour or so) and then would level off and remain at that ph for the rest of the day.

What I don't understand is how is it possible to drop the ph that quickly and then have it level off without constantly adjusting the co2? I don't have a ph controller, I am assuming maybe I need one to achieve this goal?

Is it okay if my ph drop of one paint take several hours instead of just 1? Lets say 3-4 hours to drop 1 point of ph, is that okay?

If I never see my fish gasping and they still seems active and normal is it safe to assume the co2 levels are safe and not hurting them?

finally, how much surface agitation if any do I want / need for the tank?

thanks in advanced for any advice / help.

I can't answer all questions but I will speak a little?
I use a controller.
They only fail if the solenoid fails.
I know you know this if you read from oldpunk.
Without controller then the amount of plants would be the next factor in how fast you can install the co2.
If you are LOADED with plants then blasting the BPS to get 1 point drop quickly may be used by the plants and fish will be well.
But if you are LITE on plants then the co2 will not be used quickly and to hit the target 1 point drop may take hours without hurting fish.
I am fish first.(period)
If the fish are not gasping they are probably not be negatively effected by co2.
You do have a DC and know how to get the solution correct ?
As inaccurate as many say a quick check is worth $15.
As far as surface agitation I feel surface extraction is best method IMO,but many(MANY) planted people do the most they can to keep the co2 not outgas it?

I don't use a drop checker. I have a pH probe and what's the drop of pH over time. And most importantly watching my fishies.

It's all about finding a balance by tinkering with it. Personally, I like to add in a 1 hour siesta in the middle of my light cycle. It gives the CO2 a chance to build back up and helps with the algae.

Back
Top Bottom