I need 3 T5HO's, 3 or maybe 4 but must me individually controlled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
K I can't find an LED or a T5 fixture with the perfect PAR. Tank is 48x24x31 so I need it spread out.

I don't want a siesta period, I want to have the light on all day, mostly just one and then like 5-8 hours of more direct sunlight (all 3 T5's)

The Aquatic life 4 T5H0 light does 73par @ 24" (to much) and isn't wide enough to cover the whole tank so I got a 6 fixture thinking I could take like light 2 and 5 or 3 and 4 out and still run it but nope they are wired in groups of 2 so if you pull like light 1 out 5 goes off and 2 and 4 and 3 and 6 or something weird. I can chose to turn on 2 or 4 but all 6 is way way to much so I run 2 then 4 but I can't do sunrise and sun set or anything and the 2 isn't enough and the 4 is to much and I get algae blooms and stuff so I need to time them right.

2 dual fixtures wont work because non of them have timers and they all run off 1 power cord so both lights would come on and off. I thought my winning light was going to be the new Aquatic life Marquis dual T5HO lights with timers and I would use 2 because I thought the timer operated each light independent so I could go 1-2-3-4-3-2-1 with the lights but nope I think they both pop on then both pop off :(.

So then I thought screw it 3 is perfect so I'm going to get 3 Hagen Glo single fixtures and hook them up to a reef keeper or something, a lot of money but I will get what I want, but they don't make them and re-branded everything to Fluval but guess what they don't make a single fixtures just a 4 and a 2........

I want 3 or 4 independent lights and either a moon light or a work around for one that can cover a 24x48" tank evenly.

What do you consider a 'perfect' par? The quad aquaticlife fixture seems like the best option of those listed.
A lot less than 73, like 50, I think 3 T5's running would be perfect. I thought I would need more like than I did having a 30+" deep tank but fresh water doesn't take near as much light as Marine tanks do.

I like having 1 daylight 1 atinic and 1 rosate T5. Idk if I would like the colors of an LED fixture and if I didn't I would need to take it back, there is no changing. Normally Aquatic Lifes fresh water fixtures only come with daylight and rosate but I like the 1 atinic as it really brings out the blues and greens in my rainbows.

The PAR is going down substantially as you get deeper in the tank, so another 4-6" should drop it quite a bit. And generally speaking, when it comes to lighting a tank, more is almost always better. Granted, it makes things a little more complicated, but teetering on the higher side is a lot better than hoping the plants will get enough light and thrive.

BML

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
But what do I do for a timer?

The PAR is going down substantially as you get deeper in the tank, so another 4-6" should drop it quite a bit. And generally speaking, when it comes to lighting a tank, more is almost always better. Granted, it makes things a little more complicated, but teetering on the higher side is a lot better than hoping the plants will get enough light and thrive.
Well I had a couple algae blooms and my pleco keeps the green and brown algae off the tank but im getting hair algae or BB idk on my plants and stuff and now green algae all over my substrate.

Do you think keeping my tank filled the the brim will help? I was hoping it would be ok because my glass tops are kind of scratched and white not clear like brandnew ones but I think 3 T5's would be optimal. Right now I'm running 2 for like 6 hours and then 4 for 4 hours, I can't run just 1 or 3 or I would trim an hour or 2 off each end and only run 1.

I Dose Excel but don't really wanna get into C02, my plants grow fast enough, idk what I'm going to do with all my jungle vals.

Get a digital timer??

Get a digital timer??

Hmmm I thought it was analog or like a reef keeper, Ill look into it. I would need 2 zones and the ability to put in multiple on's and offs along with an easy way to turn them on and off quick like the aquatic life timer.

The Issue I see with BML's or Ecoxotic is I would need 2, and thats a lot of cash. I don't even know if 2 Ecoxotics would do it?

If your glass tops are scratched you are getting even less light. It'd be nice to get an actual PAR meter so you can see what's exactly going on in the tank.

Do you think the algae issues may also be related to fert dosing regimen or the source water?

Hmmm I thought it was analog or like a reef keeper, Ill look into it. I would need 2 zones and the ability to put in multiple on's and offs along with an easy way to turn them on and off quick like the aquatic life timer.

The Issue I see with BML's or Ecoxotic is I would need 2, and thats a lot of cash. I don't even know if 2 Ecoxotics would do it?

I use woods digital timers with all my leds (current and finnex), co2, skimmers as well. They are capable of 14 on/off settings, also have battery back up making tweaking settings a breeze without losing time. I'm sure they'd work with a bml. Bml also offers a ramp timer which is supposed to be pretty freaking sweet!

If your glass tops are scratched you are getting even less light. It'd be nice to get an actual PAR meter so you can see what's exactly going on in the tank.

Do you think the algae issues may also be related to fert dosing regimen or the source water?
Idk I'm pretty sure I just have way to much light. I should probably only have them on for 8 hours, but thats not what I want, I want sunset and sunrise and the light on most of the time.

I use woods digital timers with all my leds (current and finnex), co2, skimmers as well. They are capable of 14 on/off settings, also have battery back up making tweaking settings a breeze without losing time. I'm sure they'd work with a bml. Bml also offers a ramp timer which is supposed to be pretty freaking sweet!

ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom