I need a plant and advice. Help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkolb86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my 10 gallon (traditional rectangular 10 gal) is almost at the end of its cycle, and I've decided that I want to throw a single plant in there for my Betta to play in. I want something he can swim through and sit on.

Java Fern or Anubias were suggested to me, but I want to be sure. I believe these were suggested because they work well in my "low light" situation.

Lighting: Single Aqueon Full Spectrum Daylight. T8, 15W, 18"
(I am not opposed to upgrading the single 18" T8 to a higher wattage if required, although I'd prefer not to for the sake of my electric bill)

Gravel: HERE

I need to know about the maintenance as well because I know nothing. What is required to take tare of each?

Thanks

You can keep a wide variety of plants with that light and little to no maintenance. I've kept Amazon swords, vals, anubias, nana petite, crypts, java moss, and java ferns in my 10g with the stock (15W 18") bulb. The only thing I would think about changing would be the bulb if it is not a 6500k bulb. I never had much luck at growing plants until I got rid of the 10000k bulb and went with the 6500k.

Here's a pic of my old 10 gallon that I was draining to tear down:
12085-albums37-picture10029.jpg

That's what happens when you don't do anything and let it go! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom