I need to change things but i dont know what to start with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cardex

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to make some changes but I don't have a clue what to start with I did not think about how much things would grow out and now I think it's too crowded plants that are in the tank

7 assorted swords
4 green crypt wendtii
Water sprite spreading like crazy as a floating
Amazon frogbit spreading like crazy
6 java ferns
3 wisteria
3 Anubis
Java and x-miss tree moss
And something that grew from a bulb with very long narrow wavy leaves

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image-1130951312.jpg
    image-1130951312.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 111
I think it looks pretty good i would just leave it...but if you don't like it you could trim it back

In my opinion just trim off the dead or rotting stuff and it should thin it down a bit. But your tank looks great!(I didn't see from the pic anything was dead or rotting) but just offering a starting point.

It looks great. I would cut the floating ones out to give the whole scene more light but other than that its great!!!

*edit* btw, what size tank is that?

55g

In the picture the led lights are on but dimmed was in the process of changeling from day to night lighting it looks much brighter when the T5s are on only dead is the x-miss moss that I have not given up on it just arrived from eBay a week ago and did not do well in shipping its mostly brown but the tips are slightly green if it does not improve in another week I am going to throw it out

I would love to have my tanks 1/4 as filled out as yours:) I'd remove the frog bit and water sprite. I've had my share and struggles with floating hornwort. I had to throw it all out. It just takes over, holds old food and cuts light down.

I would love to have my tanks 1/4 as filled out as yours:) I'd remove the frog bit and water sprite. I've had my share and struggles with floating hornwort. I had to throw it all out. It just takes over, holds old food and cuts light down.

I was thinking about moving the floaters to the shrimp tank my cherries love the sprite and ban upside down off it for hours

One thing that could improve your tank is to remove some of the swords. They take up a lot of room and looking at your tank you have mainly rosette plants with the same shape. If you'd open up some room by removing some swords you could add plants that have other shapes, color, and texture to add visual interest to the tank.

Wait longer than a week on the moss. If it has even a tiny bit of green it will rebound. It will take some time so be patient with it.

Other plants you could use would be Red Tiger Lotus, Diandra, Alternanthera reineckii, Ambulia, and Rotala roundifolia.

A 55g is hard to scape, especially trying to get a sense of depth in the tank due to it's skinny size (I know I have 2 of them) but by adding some different shaped plants and adding some color it will give the tank a whole new look.

I have been trying to get a red louts to grow have gotten 6 bulbs from different sources and non have sprouted

Do they rot or just sit there? They can sit in a tank for months laying dormant and then something will trigger the bulb and it will start growing. I've had them sprout up to 5 months later. As long as they don't get soft and mushy I just leave them sit.

So far just sitting keep thinking one will start growing, got excited when one of them sprouted but its not a louts not sure what it is but the leaves are long and squiggly and narrow

Back
Top Bottom