I received some plants for my tank today..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
My order came today in great shape from azgardens.com. Some newbie things I learned and pictures of the setup. I ordered:
3 Java Moss $2.98 $8.94
3 Hornwort $0.98 $2.94
3 Egaria najas $1.98 $5.94
1 Monster Anubias nana $19.98 $19.98
1 Giant Java Fern $12.00 $12.00
3 Cladophora aegagropila -Marimo Balls $4.98 $14.94

I had no idea that 3 java moss would be like the size of the quarter. For $2.98 a piece I figured they would be longer strains, but I suppose I was wrong. I decided not to put it in the tank because of the size I just coulnd't decide what to do with it.

The egaria najas weren't as appealing as I thought they would be and it turns out they have much higher requirements than I had originally thought for some reason. I'm not sure where I went wrong there, nor do I actually remember ordering that, but I must of for some reason. That reason just escapes me for the time being.

The rest were perfect and are pictured below.

The 110g tank with a coralife 2x65 6500K compact florescent. Should the light be upgraded or is it good enough for the "low light" plants I have in there now?
IMG_0839.sized.jpg

"monster" Anubias nana with flower!
IMG_0840.sized.jpg

flower closer up
IMG_0842.sized.jpg

Hornwort
IMG_0846.sized.jpg

A beautiful java fern and marimo balls! Man those marimos are really neat, hopefully they do well because I'd like to order more.
IMG_0845.sized.jpg

You can't see them in any of these pictures, but the current fish stock is:

6 red eye tetras (going in for trade soon possibly)
3 tetras with long angelfish like fins (no idea on the name of this fish)
4 pineapple swordtails
3 clown loaches

Planned future fish include angels, gouramis, cories, and a pleco.

dr_girlfriend said:
nice anubias!!! looks like you got some nice plants! Keep us posted!

yeah I'm excited about the anubias. I hope it does well. I'll definitely try to keep the forum updated on the progress (or lack thereof). I can't thank you guys/gals enough. Just from reading the archives I've learned so much from this site.

Yeah, I'm really glad I found this site. I never would have dared to go into planted tanks before.
My anubias' are the bullet proof plants in my tank. I have one that has thread algae on it (just the one plant though, go figure), but its thriving with new leaves and rhizome sprigs. I hope to get some cool flowering like yours though!

dr_girlfriend said:
Yeah, I'm really glad I found this site. I never would have dared to go into planted tanks before.
My anubias' are the bullet proof plants in my tank. I have one that has thread algae on it (just the one plant though, go figure), but its thriving with new leaves and rhizome sprigs. I hope to get some cool flowering like yours though!

well in all fairness the flower was on there when I put it in the tank ;-) Will anubias actually flower underwater?

wishbone said:

What do they look like? Color(s), size of fish, fins (long and thin, long and thick or what?) etc.?

RoK said:
wishbone said:

What do they look like? Color(s), size of fish, fins (long and thin, long and thick or what?) etc.?

I will take a picture today and post it up. The fins are long and very thin. They are silver with two faint black stripes. They look like skirt tetras, in fact that's what I think they are.

Back
Top Bottom