I’v joined the Planted side!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karamin65

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have finally done it! took out all my silk and plastic plants and put real ones in.

They arrived in the mail today, I have just spent the best part of 3 hours glueing and tying plants to driftwood and other ornaments.
Staying low tech & low light.

I have 3 types of Java Fern, Normal, Narrow Leaf & Trident.

Anubias Nana & the larger one not sure what it is called and I have some Bucephalandra.

Arriving tomorrow will be
Bolbitis and Hygrophila pinnatifida.

My tank looks a mess not happy with it yet it is still very much a work in progress lol!

I have a lot of Java fern just tied in bunches and thrown in the tank it will be going in my 4 Foot tank on the weekend.

Any advice on where to put things will be most welcome. I am sure I will probably move everything around quite a few times till I am happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 79
I love plants tied to things. It’s easy to redecorate and not have to dig anything out!

I started a fairly low tech planted tank last year (I dose ferts and liquid carbon). It been going great and I think it looks so much better than plastic or silk. The only trouble I've been having is some algae growth on the leaves of my ludwigia. I'm hoping cutting back on the ferts a bit will sort that out

You have a good selection of beginner plants, especially the Anubias nana. I'll tell you one thing, no nuclear disaster can wipe 'em:cool:.
Strongest plant I've ever seen.

Update on the Bolbitis when they arrive. When I had them, they grew like crazy. Went from bottom of the tank to the surface of the water in like 2 nights. I actually had Bolbitis heteroclita.

Good luck with decorating..(y)

I almost killed my anubia. It can be done. When I was learning I had a massive algae problem and I kept hearing about people doing H2O2 dips. I did a soak in pure peroxide. I thought it was okay to do I killed almost every plant in my tank! That was years ago and this is the first time I am admitting what I did! LOL

I almost killed my anubia. It can be done. When I was learning I had a massive algae problem and I kept hearing about people doing H2O2 dips. I did a soak in pure peroxide. I thought it was okay to do I killed almost every plant in my tank! That was years ago and this is the first time I am admitting what I did! LOL

[emoji79]oh no you must have been devastated!
Once the plants have settled in I want to get some ottos in that tank they are sooo cute and really help with algae.

You have a good selection of beginner plants, especially the Anubias nana. I'll tell you one thing, no nuclear disaster can wipe 'em:cool:.

Update on the Bolbitis when they arrive. When I had them, they grew like crazy. Went from bottom of the tank to the surface of the water in like 2 nights. I actually had Bolbitis heteroclita.

Thanks, will definitely keep you posted on the Bolbitis, I want to put it in the back corner to help hide the heater and filter intake, I also have a 4 foot 285 litre tank that I am going to do the same thing to, so when plants get a bit big in small tank I can move them over there.
I will put regular photos on the progress of both tanks.

I treated mine with UVC light once. Not happy

Bolbitis arrived 2 pieces one has some soft leaf still on it the other is just a hard feeling twig they both have plenty of roots so hopefully they will bounce back now that they are in the tank.

I also got some Hydro pinnifitata I will have do some research on that one never heard of it before.

Attachments

• IMG_1711.jpg
    IMG_1711.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1718.jpg
    IMG_1718.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 55
Bolbitis arrived 2 pieces one has some soft leaf still on it the other is just a hard feeling twig they both have plenty of roots so hopefully they will bounce back now that they are in the tank.

I also got some Hydro pinnifitata I will have do some research on that one never heard of it before.

Just ripped the fake Java Fern off one of my resin logs and glued real Java Fern on, left a few of the plastic leaves on for now.

Attachments

• IMG_1733.jpg
    IMG_1733.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 64
I need some help! My LFS store rang to let me know he had got some more Anubius plants in for me, said they were medium-sized plants, I picked them up today 5 pots and they are huge! I got them home and there were 2 plants in each pot so ended up with 10 plants, I have just tied some ceramic noodles to them for now to weight them down and threw them in the tank, I really need some help as to where to place them in the tank, it looks like a jumbled mess at the moment.
Any advice would be most welcome.[emoji16]

Attachments

• IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 40
The big one might be nice over on the right third, attached to some wood. Those *are* big. :eek:

Yes they are! There are 10 plants in there I was think of bunching 2 or three together and putting one bunch in front of the filter intakes to hide them and another over in the right where you said near the nick castle.

I brought some flat river stone to attach them to so I can push them under the sand just leaving the rhizomes sitting on top, I can move them around as I need them till I find the right sports. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom