I want to cry! Perfect water gone cloudy overnight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michellev512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank is 75 gallons and has had perfect water parameters 0,0 with 10 nitrates

I cleaned my canister filter wed night

My fish spawned Friday

I added a large piece of driftwood yesterday...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416168296.028666.jpg
And woke up to cloudy water. Ammonia 0, nitrite .15, nitrates 15

I've taken the driftwood out and I'm soaking it in boiling water after baking it. I hadn't baked it before and only scrubbed it and soaked it outside in very cold water

I've done a 25 percent water change and added nite out as I have german blue rams in the tank...

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How'd you clean the filter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I rinsed it all off with tap water...was that it? It was just so dirty I almost wanted to throw it out. Would the nitrite spike happen days later?
I'm worried it was the driftwood. It's just such a big piece, I can't boil it

You want to use dechlorinated water to clean the filter media, the chlorine nuked your bacteria. You're currently experiencing a bacterial bloom caused by a mini cycle. Do a 25% wc each day until your parameters level out.

Okay. Will do..

Is it a good sign I have 0 ammonia? Like maybe this will be short lived? Not that I was expecting much out of the spawn but I feel bad I totally doomed them :(

Yah, means you still have some bacteria to covert amm. To nitrite;) it shouldn't last long, wc's are your best friend, feed sparingly as well..

Ok thanks. Feel like an idiot...

Don't.. at least you're cleaning your can.. people come on here and brag about how they only clean them twice a year..

You should actually clean your filter with aquarium water, best method to keep filter bacteria alive and well.

Sent per three-eyed raven...

You should actually clean your filter with aquarium water, best method to keep filter bacteria alive and well.

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Dechlorinated water or tank water it really makes no difference. Tap water is a big no no though

Back
Top Bottom