I want to put plants in my tank. I Need Help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to swap my fake plastic plants for real ones. my only question is how do i do it? i here some people just put them right into the gravel while orhers use a special substrate. i am really confused. the easiest and cheapest method would be apprediated as i dont have a job right now.

U could just put them right in the gravel. I would maybe mix some laterite or even some planting substrate with ur existing. U could just spot it in where u want to put ur plants.

It depends on what plants really, if you want low cost and low maintenance, go low light plants java ferns and anubias don't need to be put into the gravel or need a substrate, you could just put them in the tank without burying them and the roots make their own way into the gravel over time. The good thing also about the the aforementioned plants is they don't require upgraded lighting.

im obviously a begginer at plants and plan on buying my first plants from petsmart, will it say on the little box they sell them in all the lighting info and if it can be fully submerged?

4/5 plants sold in the tubes at Petsmart are non aquatic. I usually suggest taking your phone with you to research.

I saw that you were in Charleston. If you want we can meet up and I can give you a couple of trimmings out of my tank for free

Thanks for posting here! Getting plants from other hobbyists is almost always the best method. It is cool that you have someone close that can get you some trimmings.

When starting a planted tank, the first place to always look is lighting.

You mentioned you have florescent lighting. What kind of lighting is it, and what size tank? Is it T5HO, or T8? What wattage? What color temperature? If you are unsure, just post the brand of fixture, the length of the fixture, and any text you might see on the bulbs in the fixture.

So many folks switch to live plants without taking care of some minor things upfront, like suitable lighting. If you get that step right, the rest will come along fine. But without proper lighting, plants will eventually brown out and die off, which frustrates newer folks when it comes to live plants and turns them off of what is in my opinion the coolest part of a freshwater tank.

It is a good thing i keep all fish relates boxes. lol.
it is a 24" 17 watt T8 full spectrum lamp.
it is on a 29 gallon tank.

Ok. This light might be suitable for growing very low light plants like java fern, java moss, and anubias.

I would recommend though for a low light setup, getting a dual T8 fixture at a minimum. 17W is a little on the low side. 1 Watt Per Gallon of T8 on a 29 would be a great starting point for a healthy low light tank in my opinion.

You can give it a go though with the low light plants and your current fixture and see how things progress.

Is that 10k? You can support some plants such as some Java fern and Anubis. I'll give you a few pieces out of my tank that are considered low light. If you have decent stocking you should be okay not to fertilize for a couple of weeks. That way you can see how the plants react.

We can meet up tomorrow if you want

Also you can "cheat" and place certain plants higher up in the tank. You can place them on decos and such with a piece of thread so that they can get some more light. Also how old is that bulb for the light

bigbanker said:
I'm west of the Ashley but we can meet up wherever. What kind of lights do you have on your tank

im kinda new to SC, would you be willing to meet at some place in towne center in MTP? (thats the extent of my location knowledge here).

P.S. i dont want to seem picky or anything but i also dont want to kill any plants, i have loaches so any plants must b loach safe!! :)

Back
Top Bottom