I want to start my first planted but....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skibum100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
But i have some questions before i get it started: i have a 20 gallon with a 1 single fluorescent 24" bulb. (1.) SHould i buy a T5o lighting fixture with 2x24watt bulbs? though i am new so maybe i should start with low-medium light plants, (2.) would 2.5 wpg be a good place to start or should i go with just one bulb in T5o light fixture so only 24watts for 20 gallons? I am trying to aquascape around 3 rocks with a "lawn" for foreground school of fish with progressively taller plants in the back. (3.) i am thinking marsilea minuta as foreground possibly dwarf hairgrass? with a variety of anubias species in the mid/background, would any sword plants work? any plant ideas for a BEGINNER but will also look very nice and complete im trying to have it fully aquascaped not just a plant here and a plant there. (4.) i would like to have a hill look how do i do that (i know it sounds stupid but id love just quick enlightenment of how to do it)

about tank so you dont have to ask: I will not be using CO2 and I have 2 20gallon HOB filters running.

I use a 2x24 watt T5HO on my 20gal and I get great growth although I have to fertilize almost every 3 days. Marsilea minuta can be done with both medium and high lighting dhg requires medium-high to very high lighting. Vallisneria and some other plants would do well. And if you don't use Co2 you can't have high light. High light and no co2 is begging for algae. I'd go with medium light and m. minuta as foregrown and various crypts, vals, anubias and some stem plants.

with your 2x24 watt T5HO do you regard your tank as medium light? or...? is there any short plant that i could use as a foreground plant?

48 watts of t5ho on 20 gallons is high light. You should try co2. It's easy and it will let you use high lighting. You can refer to the stickied reference guides at the top of the planted section of the forum. I juse use yeast as I can't afford pressurized because I'm saving for a sw tank right now.

Marsilea Quadrifolia or minuta will work.

Back
Top Bottom