I was thinking we could pin a list of symptoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thebluyak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I know this would help the beginner planter out a TON
We could possibly list the deficiency and the symptom since these questions get brought up so much

Like an Iron deficiency=yellowing leaves
a co2 deficiency can promote beard algea growth
Potassium deficiency=spot algea
and so on. I know this would help the beginner out when knowing when to dose. I base my dosage of CSM+B on the yellow of my cabomba, if they start turning yellow I know I need to up my dose of Iron. Hopefully more people will contribute who know more about this, like loneblue and travis and all the other plant guru's!

Actually, it's not a bad idea at all. It can be incorporated into the existing stickies that we already have. Since Purrbox already listed some references, just add to the list here and they will be picked up and added.

Been battling some staghorn algae that just doesn't seem to go away and came across this. Might help to identify nutrient deficiencies of the plants by the algae.

Algae Types-Causes-Fixes
_________Type__________________Cause___________________Solution_________
| | | |
| Blue Green Algae (BGA)************Low NO3*************** Add NO3/blackout
| Black Brush Algae (BBA)***********Low CO2****************Add CO2
| Green Water (GW)****************Ammonia***************Water Changes/elim NH4
| Green Spot Algae (GSA)***********Low PO4/low CO2********Add PO4/CO2
| Staghorn Algae******************Ammonia/low CO2********Elim NH4/Add CO2
| Green Dust Algae (GDA)***********Life Cycle - spores*******Allow to complete cycle

Ouch, the cut paste from that table is awful....

EDIT: Made it more readable.

What ive gathered from this is that the yellowing of leaves is a very common symptom for almost all the defiencies, iron nitrogen magneseium. So if someone posts help me leaves are yellowing (like I did without knowing yellowing is a byproduct of every def) then we need to know exactly what you dose to help figure out whats going on.

Back
Top Bottom