Ian086's 29g Planted Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like pressing buttons too;) have you considered diy co2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I did look at it a while back but if I did go for C02 I think I'd go all in at get the full set-up. Funny thing is, my mates Dad runs a beer distributing company and I could get 6ft cylinders for free!!!

I hear you.. i was thinking the same thing, than I saw Fresh2o and pittbullys results, it's really simple and easy to setup and run.. I'm giving it a go..

Here's fresh ' s setup, I follwed it to the t aside from a slight change in mixture, mines working great, had the ar mini pearling a wee bit after a couple days.. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298168
My DIY CO2 Setup

Haha thanks Brookster! One caveat that I might add is that although the silicone tubing is very easy to work with, it is quite porous to CO2. But not as porous as vinyl airline tubing. I saw a chart with the porosity of various materials to CO2; if I can find the link I'll post it. Anyhow, for that reason I prefer to run DIY CO2 at low pressure. Meaning, not through a ceramic diffuser. IMO the CO2 leakage increases as pressure increases.
All in all, the system worked well for me (well, for the plants).

You can do it with things you already have, so start up will be minimal. Best case...plants grow without algae issues and buys you time until you get your pressurized rig. Worst case...you don't like it, break it down-no big investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dang, that DIY setup looks super easy. I already have everything except the bottles and yeast. I'll try out the DIY on Friday! I'm curious -- for the water, was distilled or RO used? Or does it matter?

Dang, that DIY setup looks super easy. I already have everything except the bottles and yeast. I'll try out the DIY on Friday! I'm curious -- for the water, was distilled or RO used? Or does it matter?

Tap water is fine

Re:diy co2, Anyone ever setup a diffuser like this one? The description is good, but there's small details I'm confused about. Like how it's kept in place? Where do the bubbles escape the tube? Do they, or does it dissolve before bubbling out? Would it be just as effective to pipe the co2 hose into the intake pipe of my canister, without drying out the pump? I should probably open a new post, but thought I'd ask here first...

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-CO2-Diffuser/8/

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Re:diy co2, Anyone ever setup a diffuser like this one? The description is good, but there's small details I'm confused about. Like how it's kept in place? Where do the bubbles escape the tube? Do they, or does it dissolve before bubbling out? Would it be just as effective to pipe the co2 hose into the intake pipe of my canister, without drying out the pump? I should probably open a new post, but thought I'd ask here first...

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-CO2-Diffuser/8/

I've seen this design. Similar to a CO2 bell. Basically it is an area where CO2 is allowed to collect to increase the contact time. Think if it as a "passive reactor". I would think it would need to be held down with a rock or with substrate to counter the buoyancy. The CO2 will eventually start bubbling out of the end with the right angled spout (IMO faster then it can be dissolved into the water column). Not sure if this is more or less effective than piping the CO2 into the HOB filter intake.
You could accomplish both methods by setting this up as described in the article and positioning it so that the excess CO2 that would normally float to the surface instead gets sucked into the filter (or powerhead).

Good idea on having the spill over get sucked into the intake. Also a great suggested glass diffuser! I've seen similar at lfs and online that cost much, much, much more!

Back
Top Bottom