Ian086's 29g Planted Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good lord! I'll be over 145 PAR on my 60p with one of those! I think my fish will go blind! haha

VERY NICE!
They have less intense versions too. I'm picking up the tank tomorrow, if it arrive in my LFS. Found out earlier, my carpenter mate is in Spain on holidays until next Wednesday, so i'll have to wait until then to install it:banghead:

Subscribed. I am contemplating the BML alongside my current + on my 26 gal bowfront (24in high) so it will be interesting to watch how yours works. Do you have an anticipated start date? or maybe i missed it!

Subscribed. I am contemplating the BML alongside my current + on my 26 gal bowfront (24in high) so it will be interesting to watch how yours works. Do you have an anticipated start date? or maybe i missed it!
Hi bcarl. I was planning early next week but my carpenter mate in not back from Spain until Wed, so it could be Sat again I get it started.....

Right so, the tank is in my LFS ready to go. Nowhere to put it yet. Stand won't be ready until next Sat, at the earliest. I might just leave it in the LFS until then. It will drive me mad, sitting there and not being able to do anything with it. The most annoying part is, I'm off work ALL next week!!!.
The Metricide 14 day is on the way and should be here mid next week, ordered from Florida. Also ordered Seachem Safe from Australia, no sign of it being posted yet(according to Ebay). I'm not stuck for that, so no big deal.
Ordered 4 bags of Eco Complete today from England. Should be here Tue/Wed. I know 4 bags is too much but I got a deal on it, £21($35) a bag, so I thought, what the hell, i'll get an extra bag.....

Ok. This is the list of plants that I am considering.....
Pogostemon Helferi-(Tropica Aquarium Plants - Pogostemon helferi)
Alternanthera 'Rosanervig'
Rotala Wallichii-(Plant Details)
Hottonia Palustris-(Plant Details)
Hemianthus Micranthemoides-Plant Details
I am also adding some AR mini and possibly some bonsai both sent to me by Old Scales.
I plan a ledge or terrace(left side of tank) similar to in this video. My thinking is to make this ledge maybe 3-5" higher than the rest of the substrate, the substrate being held in place by similar coloured rocks(name?) to the video. I like the whole layout of this tank and it is what I am seriously considering at the moment. Open to changes/tweaks. I like the idea of the coconut shells as little huts for the corys but I don't want like the look of the coconuts. I like the way the plants above it over hang slightly. Maybe use the coconuts shells but cover them in some kind of short moss, I don't know if there is such a moss available of even if my idea is possible..... Any ideas???
I don't want this tank to be a jungle, I want to see the fish!!!

OH my mo Cara! I'm impressed with the plant genera/species names. Now I want to hear you pronounce them to me next time we Skype. LOL. I'll make a "planter" out of this paddy yet, folks! Ha, Just teasing you buddy.
I wish I had got an extra bag of Eco Fine also. Would be handy for filling in some low spots I have. Those plants are going to look awesome together! OS.

OH my mo Cara! I'm impressed with the plant genera/species names. Now I want to hear you pronounce them to me next time we Skype. LOL. I'll make a "planter" out of this paddy yet, folks! Ha, Just teasing you buddy.
I wish I had got an extra bag of Eco Fine also. Would be handy for filling in some low spots I have. Those plants are going to look awesome together! OS.
Now your pushing your luck Brueen...haha. Why do I need to pronounce them when I can just type and spell check them!!. The list is not set or final. I am open to changing/adding to them. I have a fair idea of what the left hand back and front side will look like but the middle and right size is open to any ideas anyone has. I do like the idea of the huts for the corys/fish to chill out in. I just don't want the shells to be visible. It may be a stupid idea and no doubt it will change but for now, it's what's in my head...lol

Ok. This is the list of plants that I am considering.....
Pogostemon Helferi-(Tropica Aquarium Plants - Pogostemon helferi)
Alternanthera 'Rosanervig'
Rotala Wallichii-(Plant Details)
Hottonia Palustris-(Plant Details)
Hemianthus Micranthemoides-Plant Details
I am also adding some AR mini and possibly some bonsai both sent to me by Old Scales.
I plan a ledge or terrace(left side of tank) similar to in this video. My thinking is to make this ledge maybe 3-5" higher than the rest of the substrate, the substrate being held in place by similar coloured rocks(name?) to the video. I like the whole layout of this tank and it is what I am seriously considering at the moment. Open to changes/tweaks. I like the idea of the coconut shells as little huts for the corys but I don't want like the look of the coconuts. I like the way the plants above it over hang slightly. Maybe use the coconuts shells but cover them in some kind of short moss, I don't know if there is such a moss available of even if my idea is possible..... Any ideas???
I don't want this tank to be a jungle, I want to see the fish!!!
Forgot to link the video!!!....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=421408164649040&set=vb.318819601495991&type=2&theater

Rock work idea

:bulb: When you build the terrace border with the rocks, stack and spot glue them together to not only hold the eco in on the top plateau but with cave like spaces between the lowest layer for the Corys. I'll draw a sketch of it and post tomorrow for you to look at. It would be more natural to the rock look of the scape. When I stacked my two pieces of DW together in my scape I unintentionally made two little "hidey hole" caves that my Corys adopted immediately. OS.

Right so, the tank is in my LFS ready to go. Nowhere to put it yet. Stand won't be ready until next Sat, at the earliest. I might just leave it in the LFS until then. It will drive me mad, sitting there and not being able to do anything with it. The most annoying part is, I'm off work ALL next week!!!.

You should pick it up. This is actually common and can actually work to your benefit. If you get the tank earlier you can start playing with some mock scape options. You know, hardscape placement or what not? It helps to have the tank right there to start conceptualizing. Once you come up with a scape, they say to sleep on it and approach it again with a fresh mind/eye the next day... then make any minor adjustments. I think James Findley of the Green Machine does that. That's how he's so fast in his setup videos... he pre-plans it.

Plus, you can take empty tank pictures... (maybe add waffles?)

Last edited:
You should pick it up. This is actually common and can actually work to your benefit. If you get the tank earlier you can start playing with some mock scape options. You know, hardscape placement or what not? It helps to have the tank right there to start conceptualizing. Once you come up with a scape, they say to sleep on it and approach it again with a fresh mind/eye the next day... then make any minor adjustments. I think James Findley of the Green Machine does that. That's how he's so fast in his setup videos... he pre-plans it. Plus, you can take empty tank pictures... (maybe add waffles?)
I think this is a great idea Ian.

Ian i have coconut shell's for my vampire shrimp they're covered in moss and have java fern attached to the top i bought them like this they look fine. It's a shame i didn't know as I threw a couple out last week :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ian does ordering metricide 14 from Florida still work out cheaper than buying excel??
Well I am currently using Easylifes Easycarbo. I use 2ml per 50ltrs. I worked it out with Old Scales and if I remember correctly, I think it's going to last about 3-4 times longer. The Easycombo cost €14 for 500ml.. The Metricide costs me €40 for a gallon.
If I'm correct, diluting the Metricide with a gallon of distilled water make it's the same strength as excel. I checked with the buyer I used from Ebay and he/she doesn't ship to the UK. Very strange. It must be something to do with importing chemicals on the UK side....

You should pick it up. This is actually common and can actually work to your benefit. If you get the tank earlier you can start playing with some mock scape options. You know, hardscape placement or what not? It helps to have the tank right there to start conceptualizing. Once you come up with a scape, they say to sleep on it and approach it again with a fresh mind/eye the next day... then make any minor adjustments. I think James Findley of the Green Machine does that. That's how he's so fast in his setup videos... he pre-plans it.

Plus, you can take empty tank pictures... (maybe add waffles?)
That's a great idea Brian. I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am currently using Easylifes Easycarbo. I use 2ml per 50ltrs. I worked it out with Old Scales and if I remember correctly, I think it's going to last about 3-4 times longer. The Easycombo cost €14 for 500ml.. The Metricide costs me €40 for a gallon.
If I'm correct, diluting the Metricide with a gallon of distilled water make it's the same strength as excel. I checked with the buyer I used from Ebay and he/she doesn't ship to the UK. Very strange. It must be something to do with importing chemicals on the UK side....

Yea its really strict for some reason. I just ordered my dry ferts from the U.S earlier on. Ferts $30. Shipping $60. Works out about £60 in total. Will still work out way cheaper than the seachem range. Just hope it gets here!!

Yea its really strict for some reason. I just ordered my dry ferts from the U.S earlier on. Ferts $30. Shipping $60. Works out about £60 in total. Will still work out way cheaper than the seachem range. Just hope it gets here!!
Is there anyway you can cancel that order?? I have a site in the UK that I use, it will be MUCH cheaper for you....

I agree with Brian. Get the tank there at home so you can start to visualize the actual size of the things that you plan on putting in it. What source of stones do you have locally? OS.

Back
Top Bottom